Please help! Motor knocking...

I have a 2002 Tacoma with 19,000 miles on it and when I came out of a turn today and shifted into 2nd and hit the gas the motor started knocking like crazy, it was very loud and very evident. I thought that it was knocking a few months back but it was very subtle and I thought it was just a figment of my paraniod imagination, but this time it was not. I drive it pretty easy pretty much most of the time and it only has 19,000 miles on it. What causes this and how can I fix it. I have an extended warranty but what if I take it to the dealer and it doesn't do it. Please help, I love my Tacoma. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
zyx321

A serious knock in the engine is a huge problem, as in needing an engine rebuild. It is not something you can fix, nor would you want to - count your blessings that you have the warranty. Have you not been changing the oil every 2500? Over revving the engine?

Take it to the dealer.

Reply to
iNet

Oil changes - every 6 months because of the low mileage, over-revving - close sometimes but never over the red line. Will I have a problem getting the dealer to fix it? Thanks again.

Reply to
zyx321

do you mean knocking as in pinging or a loud knock like the sound of a fist on a door? If the latter, consult with the dealer and ask him what to do. If it were me as the dealer, I'd dispatch a wrecker to you to tow the truck in to mitigate damages. I'd not EVER drive an engine with the loud noise.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

The extended service plan (it legally is not a warranty) doesn't even kick-in on the engine until your 5-yr/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty has expired.

You have two options...get to a dealership and have them diagnose and fix the knock under the factory warranty. Or, drive it until it destructs, play dumb, and get the engine fixed or replaced under warranty. The knock could be as simple as something loose banging around, it could be something serious failing inside the engine, or it could be a failure of the computer ignition controls causing serious spark knock which will soon cause damage.

The dealership needs to experience the knock. Learn how to make it happen for them.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Reply to
zyx321

I had the same problem on my toyota tacoma. It turned out that it was a bad set of wrist pins, and they put a new short block in the truck under warranty, no questions asked. My tacoma had 44,000 miles on it when they changed it but it was making a continuous but unrhymthic knocking sound at all speeds, but it was especially apparent when I woud start out releasing the clutch. Definetely go to the dealer and have it looked at.

Reply to
frankfurt