ash tray insert needed

My wife whom I love and adore and have done so for the past 20 years or so did a major dumb the other day. Aside from the fact that I'm flabbergasted that she would admit to such a thing I am in sort of a quandary. She drives a '98 Avalon. Last week she pulled the ashtray insert while cleaning the car and inadvertently wound up throwing it out with the trash. My local friendly Toyota dealership informs me that you cannot simply buy the molded piece of thermoplastic, I have to buy the whole freaking ashtray assembly to the tune of a couple of hundred bucks. Can anyone offer some assistance in purchasing another insert a price less than the gross national product of a third world country? My local junk yards are of no help at all. Any non-smoker want to sell me his or hers? Any help greatly appreciated...

Mike

PS...many thanks to those here who've helped in the past. This place is a storehouse of info a the gathering place for a hell of a lot of nice folks. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

Reply to
Mike McCollum

A nice chance to give up!

Join the rest of humanity and stop smoking.

Reply to
Scotty

You bet...right after the rest of the world stops drinking...certainly causes much more death and destruction.

Reply to
Mike McCollum

I do neither so it's possible, but to your ?. Try a breaker. IMO, the inserts will survive a lot of crash damage.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Thanks Paul, but that's the second place I went looking. The only one local to me that had the part wanted $57 for it. It's highway robbery.

Mike

Reply to
Mike McCollum

Hate to tell you this but it's more like supply and demand. The breakers know what Toy charges for each part and charge accordingly.

Look, if you need to pay $60 for the part, it'll be the last one your wife tosses.

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Heh heh, I'm coming to that same realization. Thanks for the chuckle anyways Paul. Happy Holidays, Mike

Reply to
Mike McCollum