04 Tundra exhaust sounds

04 Tundra AC V8 - 1700 miles or so - so far so good with a few minor warranty items to be resolved. Coming from an 02 Taco Dbl-cab 4x4 TRD P/U, the ride, power, room etc. are a real pleasure [or I'm just getting old and appreciate the creature comforts much more].

On moderate to heavy throttle [have yet to go WOT], I hear a whooshing and ringing note from the exhaust. Reminds me of the older GM vehicles with the dual-walled exhausts when the inner collapsed - sucked the life out of the motor and made the same whooshing sound. Power seems to be good - very good as a matter of fact - sweet high-winding cammer this 4.7 is so the issue is definitely not a lack of power or acceleration. This sound is really annoying however and not at all related to the mild V8-rumble heard at idle. Does this sound familiar to any of you Tundra owners? What do your trucks sound like when you pushing the go pedal just a bit?

Reply to
me

Its cause your exhaust system is very quiet and doing its job very well. The noise is the gases rushing out the tailpipe. No engine noise just gases travelling very fast. To get that nive V8 sound try remove the rear muffler and replaceing with a straight through type (or a tripple flow if thats too noisey).

Reply to
Scotty

Let me get this straight: You could've bought a slob truck like a GMC, GM, Ford or Dodge, with engine tolerances measured in feet instead of fractions of an inch. Trucks which, in 3 years, will be disgusting to drive behind, and will smell as bad as a 25 year old Blazer. Instead, you bought a vehicle whose designers did their work the way Leonard Bernstein conducted the NY Philharmonic. A vehicle whose cylinders, in 10 years, will probably get through a compression test better than the slob trucks did when fresh off the assembly line. You're wondering why your Tundra doesn't sound like a slob truck? :-) :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Have a 04 Tundra DC v-8. 4300 miles. Love it. I've only gone WOT a few times and didn't notice any strange exhaust noises. Might want to visit the dealer, and maybe even " test drive " another truck for comparison.

Chuck in Phoenix

Reply to
Chuck

I wonder how a Flowmaster system would sound on these trucks...

Reply to
TOM

I have a flowmaster and a 3-inch pipe from the wye back on my 2001, sounds like you woud expect a V-8 to. I get lots of coments. Seems like I have better low end torque as well.

John Anderson

Reply to
John Anderson