Auto transmission fluid change - Highlander V6

I have a 2002 Highlander 3.0 liter V6 with 30,000 miles of pure highway driving. I want to change the automatic transmission fluid but not sure on this subject.

Do I just drop the pan and drain fluid and replace with appropriate auto transmission fluid through the dip stick? Do I need to change any filters? Do I need to replace gasket?

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

Yup. That changes about half of the total fluid volume, since you can't drain the torque converter. (For that, you need one of the flushing machines.) If the fluid isn't burnt, half is plenty.

It's a fine screen - just check for any big debris in the pan.

If it's a gasket, yes. Some newer cars use only a bead of special FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) silicone in a lot of places that used to take gaskets, duplicating the factory method is the safest course.

Get a tube of FIPG at the dealer if you aren't 100% sure the aftermarket FIPG you can find is suitable for the purpose - it will list all the approved uses and fluid compatibilities on the label.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

JUST drain and refill - don't worry about taking the pan off at 30k. Make sure you get the right fluid -- don't believe yours uses the older Dextron

  1. > I have a 2002 Highlander 3.0 liter V6 with 30,000 miles of pure highway
Reply to
Wolfgang