Body repair parts & how-to for a 1990 4Runner

Hello,

Any recommendations as to where to buy body repair parts for a 1990 4Runner? The vehicle has the typical wheel well rust, as well as some small holes in the doors, bumpers, and corners. I figure that it would be best to just replace the bumpers. I assume that we're talking about welding in new quarter-panels, since I don't want to have the rust come back in a year. Would 3 to 5 years be asking too much for this type of repair?

The only other thought that I had was to cut out the rusted areas and grind them down to bare metal and then apply fiberglass mesh with resin over them. Any opinions about doing it that way? I would think that it would last a lot longer than a Bondo job.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

first of where are you located? there are several local salvage yards here that have wuite a few of your generation 4runner,i know the owners and can get pretty good deals on parts. what kind of repairs have you done before? if your are comfortable doing your own work it shouldnt be that hard for you to do an acceptable job on the quarter panels yourself, i can help with tips on the repair.i dont work in a body shop but have been doing paint and body work on the side and for about ten years and have quite a few friends in the industry to get advice from.You can replace the quarter panels without having to weld in the replacements,3m sells several different two part adhesives that are specifically for bonding qurters on adn door skins etc.I can also help with supplying those if you need it,as i have an account with the local 3m wholesaler.

Reply to
slngblde

Most paint supply houses sell patch panels. This is definately a better repair than bondo or fiberglass patches and should last as long as the original. Make sure you treat the back side of patches and welds with anti rust of some sort when possible to extend the life. Dealers usually sell whole fenders, quarter panels and etc. and are usually higher cost than supply house. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Key to any repair whether welded in panels or patching putties is to remove all rust - best way is band sand blasting. A few small holes usely double in size though. If they remain small the panel can be leaded in. Which is a permanent repair and better than welding in a patch panel and then bondoing it to look right. A local junk yard may have used doors cheaper than what it would cost to repair your old ones. Power locks/windows in them might be an added bonus.

Try

Wolfgang

If you don't have access to a MIG welder you could always go this route......

Mac

Reply to
Mac