Brake warining light coming on

I have 2002 tacoma V6 dbl cab. Recently, the brake light in th edash comes on when I brake hard or more so when I'm on an incline. I've checked the brake fluid level and it seems fine. Braking seems to work fine. Anyideas on why this is happening? thanks all

Reply to
W C

I know that the brake fluid res. looks full , but just add little bit of fluid . the switch in the res . is very sensitive. I bet the light goes out.

Reply to
zonie

The fluid level is slightly low. If you don't do anything, the next step will be for the light to come on during cold mornings.

Now is the time to inspect and possibly replace the pads. As the pads wear, the fluid level in the res drops. DON'T simply add more fluid... it will overflow when you replace the pads unless it is actually leaking (which is unlikely).

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Or replace the worn pads, which is the real problem.

Reply to
Dan G

You're slightly confused there - the first step is to look at the pad condition before you add fluid, and see if there's at least 1/16 of wear left in the pads - if there's some wear left in them, add fluid to make up for the volume loss. (Or have a mechanic check the pad condition - and show you where to look to check them for yourself next time, it's not a difficult job on most cars.)

It won't hurt to add brake fluid even if you will need new front pads very soon - when they go to change the brakes, they should also bleed the brake system, and that will drain off the excess fluid you added. If they do it properly they'll use a liter or two of fresh brake fluid to flush all the old brake fluid out of the system.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman