breather cap on differential question

I posted about the pinion seal and now I have doubts, as sudden pressure release occours on opening filler hole. this have a spring in it and it moves up and down on pressing on it. because mine seems solid. I dont see any air holes. I used anti sieze fluid and wire brushed it. Looks like a end cap fitting, so where the holes. Is this a failure point in the differential , blow off through seal, as I have pressure build up and a tight u joint with no road noise. I do have oil loss, wondering if this could be the culprit. No equalization of pressure. Its a 94 pickup truck.

Reply to
Age

You are making more out of this than there is. It is 13 years old and the seals do not last forever. Some pressure differentail will develop for time to time, this is quite normal. If there is a vent it is usually on top of the housing.

SnoMan
08-02-06 06:43 The only movement you would see from the breather is that the top should wiggle a little when you push on it. The spring and rubber seal is inside that. Did you clean it good with brake cleaner after you had it off? I think the pressure due to temperature change can force oil out the pinion. I think changing the pinion seal should be a last resort, as getting the preload reset can be a problem. Have you searched for 4crawler and looked at his writeup? Ed
Reply to
ed_herman

I disagree. THe vent is not a open vent persay and will develope so pressure before it vents. ALso changing seal in not a last reesort either as they do wear out. As long as you scribe a line accross nut and pinion stub before you remove nut and return it to that posotion there will be no preload problems. I have been doing it that way for many years. Many make the mistake of not marking it beforehand.

SnoMan

Reply to
Age