2005 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl Cab Long bed

Does anyone have the same problem as I?

When I go over bumps, I hear a clicking in the rear leaf springs. Upon inspection, I find nothing wrong what so ever. I took it to Toyota, and they told me that there is an imperfection in the spring itself, and when I went over a bumb, the spring hit the stray metal (imperfection) and clicked. They told me it would go away after the metal wore out the imperfection. Now, 6 months later, the noise is still there.. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Jason

A lot of people have the same problem as you; it is an imperfection in the springs and it will not "wear away;" Toyota issued a TSB about it. I don't have the TSB number - you can try "SU002-05 REAR SUSPENSION SPRING NOISE" but this may be for the Tundra.

As I recall, the TSB calls for installing plastic spacers and greasing between the springs.

From what I understand this has not proven completely satisfactory and as of June 2006 I had heard that Toyota was considering issuing a new TSB calling for the complete replacement of the springs with a redesigned assembly - I can't address the truth of this or not; I simply don't know.

I'd suggest finding another Toyota dealer, if that's an option for you. In any case, save your receipts so that you can show that you brought the problem to their attention while the truck was still under warranty.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

The above is the correct TSB for the Tacoma double cab. The part number for the spring cushion kit is 04005-36104.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

I don't know if it will work on yours, but I took a vacuum cleaner belt which is thick and round and draped it over the leaf spring support on one end, and stuck it between two leaf springs with the other end. It quieted the noise completely and has been there for over a year with no wear. Rub some grease on the belt to reduce friction and wear.

Reply to
Bob Palmer

Some of the 2006's I've seen recently on a local lot don't have pads, so they may have redesigned the spring. My '05 Access Cab 4x4 had the rears replaced by my dealer with a second set without pads in January. The second set have not gotten noisy. I don't know if there is an official TSB.

The OP can log in to techinfo.toyota.com to get service info and TSB info. 24 hours is $10, or he can ask the service advisor to pull up the info at his counter computer.

Reply to
B A R R Y