buckled tailgate - Tacoma

Made a ramp for my snowmobile to get into my shortbox Tacoma. Ramp is in 3 sections, 2 for skiis, 1 in middle for track. The middle section gave way even though I had it secured. Not sure if the section itself buckled the gate or the weight of the sled coming down on gate. I'm leaning towards the ramp buckling the gate. Its not serious, the gate closes fine, not easily noticeable. But nonetheless, it has been done.

Is something like this fixable? Should the tailgate be able to take the weight of a sled? I got it in after with the aid of a bank, the track rests on a stick of wood resting between gate and bed. No weight on gate.

Here's pics...might have time tomorrow to take some with the sled out.

TIA

Reply to
Mr Roper

Not sure. I have a Tacoma and haul a giant utility quad which weighs over 600# and have no bent gate problems. Of course, my load is closer to the outside of the gate where its closer to the supports.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

I've buckled one myself as well, they're fairly flimsy. I actually did it while loading my Snow Hawk, which is even narrower, but only weighs about 375lbs.

I ended up running a piece of angle iron on the inside and top of the tailgate, secured with countersunk screws. I then had a 3/16" plate laser-cut to match the entire inside-side of the tailgate and used about 30 screws to attach it. All of this is concealed under my bedliner tailgate protector.

Buckle now you SOB! Haha....!

I've had very good results so far.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Pilgrim

Exactly, Rick.

I loaded Grizzly 660's, KVF 650's and several Traxter 650's (very heavy!) on my old tailgate and didn't have any issues, it's the center point load that does it in.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Pilgrim

When I have to load my rototiller into my 94 PU, I let the tailgate down all the way. By that I mean I disconnect the cables and let the tailgate drop and rest on the step bumper. For one thing, it makes the ramp angle a lot smaller. Works for me.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman