steering wheel rubber is drying out - can I coat with clear polyurethane?

I have a steering wheel that is drying due to the sun and it's getting a little dusty from the drying plastic. Can I just coat it with a clear poly spray or do I need to use some special clear paint?

Reply to
Joe

I had the same problem on my 850. Installed a wheel wrap and problem solved.

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

well, as long as when it wears off it ends up no worse than it is now I'd like to try it. The reason I'm posting is because I'm trying to avoid the wheelskin option. My car is only a 2004 so I'd like to preserve the original interior look for at least a couple more years.

Reply to
Joe

Franky! Thanks for letting us know. I gotta try it myself!

I would have replaced the wheel but the "airbag" makes that a bit problematic.

And, I agree Volvo sucks at plastics. However, that doesn't stop them from being VERY proud of them... Just look at the prices for pieces that regularly crack, chip, break, fade, shrink...

don b.

Reply to
don b.