Clutch size!!

have a 1988 Toyota pickup, reg cab 4x4. Does anyone know how to find out if a replacement clutch for my truck is a 8 or 9 in clutch without taking it apart to find out??? Thanks

Reply to
123456

In your repair manual!

Reply to
kend

Your big on referencing the repair manual -- suspect the guy doesn't have one. Some just say remove the transmission -- hardly step-by-step. Fortunately there are a lot of links online by helpful folks who have actually done the work. Why even post a reply if you can't provide value added?

Reply to
Wolfgang

True enough! I was feeling a bit of frustration at that moment with the fact that folks don't check the resources available to them: internet and library (free) or buy the manual. Can you imagine trying to detail a clutch job step by step in a thread?

Reply to
kend

I wouldn't key it in but there is great link at:

They also have many other useful articles.

Reply to
Wolfgang

make sure, whatever dia it is, that you get the matched throwout bearing, thickness wise. There is more than 1 pressure plate and bearing size that will fit, chinstore sales reps mix the bearings up all the time and the result is really short clutch life. Sucks when it happens and you are back at square one..... mlm

Reply to
john Q pubic

put truck on jack stands pull exhaust from the collector below manifold, pop off hangers and let tye entire pipe dangle drop front of driveshaft at the yoke loosen 4 out of 5 nuts that secure the bell housing top the engine , pull slave cyl from bell housing place tranny jack under tranny, pull last , middle top bolt, slide tranny back remove pressure plate from flywheel, curse and swear cause this isa pain in the ass change out throwout , or not, all mine have lasted longer than the fork they mount in r & r flywheel, yeah right, A. like you don't need the truck as a daily driver B. like it will make a big difference (unless you have a serious lead foot and haul lead daily leading to pitting cracking and glazing, the thing will turn itself ...... install new parts using whichever socket you conveniently have that fits as a alighnment tool..........then reverse all of the above, cursing toyota for peening the non reverseing exhaust bolts of which one lil hastard broke off and will cause shitty performance in 2 years time after you forget you broke it. peice of cake do it in my sleep but, only if i'm too broke to paysomeone else the hundred or so labor and the hundred fifty or so in parts........ MLM

Reply to
john Q pubic