clutch slipping

Hi group...I have a '93 Toyota 4x4 pu that is starting to slip occasionally in 4th gear. Is there anything I should try before just having the clutch
replaced...like changing gear oil or anything? Thanks, Brian
It's a manual trans, right?
Over 90k miles or tow a trailer? If so its the clutch disc --- assuming the clutch master cylinder had flhid in it. If its empty then slave or master cylinder could be gone --- but they affect engagement mainly.

Wolfgang wrote:

The mileage doesn't matter, I've seen OEM clutches last over 150,000 miles and some fail after 30,000. It's a matter of how their driven. The original post said nothing about engagement, just slippage when already in gear.
| Hi group...I have a '93 Toyota 4x4 pu that is starting to slip occasionally | in 4th gear. Is there anything I should try before just having the clutch | replaced...like changing gear oil or anything? | Thanks, | Brian | |
An "Old Timers" way to check the clutch is to gently pull up to, and nudge, a big tree. Then put your tranny in 3rd gear, rev up the engine a bit and let out the clutch pedal. It should kill the engine muy pronto. If it takes a while then you have a worn clutch disc or a defunct pressure plate, or both. Gears do not slip, clutches do!
-- Jarhead
No. If the clutch is slipping on a 12-year old truck, odds are good that you need a new clutch.

no.
your clutch is done. have it changed or change it and replace:
- pilot bearing - throwout bearing - crank seal trans input seal
if the oil pan leaks it can also be tackled now
Matt