Does anyone else have trouble with the handling/steering the Tacoma?

2003 extended cab Tacoma SR5 with the TRD package V6 5-speed manual.

Bought 12-27-04. Thought this would be something I would get used, but after 5 months i'm still not used to it.

Truck either has tite steering, does not do well with ruts in the highway or maybe tall tires on a small framed pickup. I find it hard to keep it between the yellow and white lines,(yes i'm sober). I don't think the truck is out of line and keep all my tires at 31psi. A co-worker just bought a 2000 tacoma and his does the same thing.

Reply to
Brian

I have had mine for almost two years and I still feel this way from time to time. Just different than what I am used to, but I do feel like I really have to "drive" this truck.

Mike T

Reply to
Mike T.

I've got a 2000 and I wouldn't disagree. Doesn't seem as noticeable on interstate, but on roads with a more varied "crown", the truck does seem to want to wander on occasion. No alignment or balance issues here either.

Sounds like it just may be the nature of the beast......

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

I've got an '04 TRD and don't notice anything wrong. I've been driving the equivalent model since '84 though.

Reply to
Boboed

A member of tundrasolutions is a retired engineer from Hunter Equipment that makes alignment equipment. He didn't like the handling of his Tundra. He found that Toyota's factory specs are too wide. The truck can be within spec and handle poorly. He tried several different alignment settings on his Tundra and Sequioa and basically found that the camber and toe-in need to be set at the exact center of the spec, and the caster at the maximum allowed by the spec. No alignment tech should get any heartburn from this...it is within spec, but must be exactly what is asked for.

Someone can check to see if the Tacoma front end is similar to the Tundra, and if the specs are indeed wide. I'd find a good independent alignment shop with a Hunter alignment rack and the Hunter CAMM console...and a tech that knows his job. Insist on the settings above, and have them do a 4-wheel thrust alignment where they precisely measure the direction of the rear wheel thrust and align the fronts to that. The dealership may just align to anywhere within the factory spec and call it good--and you know the truck does not handle well.

Ken

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I've got an 04' Tacome Dcab TRD and it's the first truck I've owned since a

91' 4 banger S-10 bought new many years ago. I noticed that the road surface does tend to steer the wheels for you a bit.... thought it was wind at first till constant scanning of the tree branches while driving on the highway told me that wasn't the case! I just got used to it and with minor corrections drive just as straight as passenger cars. Now my girlfreind thinks my truck is just plain scary to drive on the highway compared to her Honda Accord for the same reasons....

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Yep, now that you mention it, it does seem more related to city driving on roads with varied "crown." Interstate is pretty easy to keep it between the lines.

Mike T

Reply to
Mike T.

I have a 99 Tacoma, 2WD, extended cab, SR5,with 2.4 l engine,and 64k on the clock. Purchased March of 93 from a Toyota dealer.Was a "Certified" used Tacoma. Have never had any steering problems what so ever,or any other problems so far.

Reply to
W.T. MC GLYNN

The steering ratio is distinctly different from a typical sedan, especially above 40 mph or so. Turn the wheel a little and something actually happens. With most sedans, you have to turn the wheel quite a bit MORE to get the same physical result. I can't explain this any more accurately. It's just an observation. When I first bought my 2002, I still had my Taurus for about a month before I sold it, so I got to compare both.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Did exactly that on a 2004 Tacoma purchased new last August. From Day 1 it was a full time occupation trying to keep it between the lines and not much fun to drive. The dealer pronounced it "within specs" and got huffy when I asked for a little extra positive caster. Took it to the local alignment shop, bought the tech a cup of coffee and asked for "center specs on toe-in / camber, max positive specs on caster" as Ken noted above. $56 and 30 minutes later I had a really nice handling little truck.

Milt

Reply to
Milt