Engine light

Have replaced two O2 sensors recently. 2000 Tundra is close to 4 yrs old. Truck didn't seem to run any better after faulty sensors were replaced. At $154.00 a pop I'm wondering whether continued replacement of these things is warranted once the warrantee has expired. Am told there are four of these sensors. I have replaced two so I guess I have two more to look forward to replacing. Any thoughts on the real significance of these gadgets?

Reply to
<nvw

You won't pass smog check with a failed O2 sensor...

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

can bad gas or fuel treatment trip the check engine light ??

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Shouldn't, but possibly...

Check that the gas cap is on properly.

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

Why not let the vehicle tell you? If you jump the correct contacts in the diagnostic connector, the light will blink a diagnostic code. Then, you just look it up in the shop manual and -- a lot of times -- the problem is very straight-forward (bad O2 sensor, ignitor skipped, etc.) I have used this technique for all of my toyotas over the past fifteen years and I am sure it has saved me a world of hurt and money.

I saw a website just last night that provides a tutorial and the codes:

Good Luck,

Luther

Reply to
Luther

why is this thing eating o2 its the front one again it only has about

40,000 on it anf i got it from the dealer noteven a yr a go wht the hell lol now i just whent to napa anf bught a after market boash o2 for 73.00 in stead of 195.00 dollars is it bad gas or is it really sopose to be replaced every 50,000 so thousand this is nuts my 89 i only replaced it once at 89,000 and i put 200,000 on it so why does every one rave a bout the EFI so much it junk as far as iam consern ill never buy a newer toyota ever a gain any i deas wht went wrong??

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Well, I am sure someone will give me grief for this, but my O2 sensor went bad 10 years ago and I never replaced the damn thing. I know it screws up the emissions and it "supposedly" affects gas mileage. I haven't lived in a state that requires emissions checks in the past ten years and I never saw a measureable impact to the gas mileage, so it hasn't caused any big issues that I can tell.

My engine has over 290K on it and has never run better.

BTW, I have never run anything in my vehicle but Amoco premium. I don't think it's the gas you are using - rather, my guess is that it is the delicate nature of these sensors. That type of instrumentation has no place on a motor vehicle, much less a 4WD truck.

Luther

Reply to
Luther

Lucky bast#rd! :-)

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

o thanks for ur help

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

i tryed the jump test but it didnt work i had to pay 89.00 to a shop to tell me nothing blinked when i did this

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

ya i know cal sucks the gov just wants us to spend our money on them and something we ant change we have to have cars to get a round and to make money but they dont care how much of our money it takes to fix something whrn its there idea and hell they donet even care if a lot of us eat ot ave ahouse they just want our taxes

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Strange it didn't work for you - sorry about that. The blinking engine light technique is how I found out my O2 sensor was bad. BTW, this procedure is detailed in the shop manual for my 4Runner; so it's supposed to work, at least for my model ('88-3.0L). Also, I used something similar for my wife's Cressida (what a piece_of_shit that car was) except her car actually displayed the code number on the mileage computer embedded in the dash (if you knew the right button combination to mash - again, from the shop manual). Pretty cool, really.

Perhaps, the shops have successfully lobbied Toyota to stop supporting this capability in later models (not sure what year your vehicle is).

Luther

Reply to
Luther

its a 95 toyota tacoma :-( the worst thng i have ever bough in my life shame on toyota for not standing be hind it or n front of the problem tha ti had with this truck that was still under warrenty i have rplaced the cat - 02s 3 times and the egr valve and the egr amlfiler had the rateator rebult 2 time the truck only has 122,000 on it now and when i bought it it had 60,000 i bought it for 12,000 and owe 2 yrs on it iam not going to finish the contract ill eather esell it or let the bank come get it i have spent over 2000 on it in 2 yrs so what 40,000 miles are mine i hada 89 i bought with 80.000 on it 3yrs old and it had exclent service for me i sold it for 3000 had 375, 000 on it and i put

1, 500 in it for 10 yrs wht the hell is so grate about the (NEW ) toyotas every one aves a bout i going to go buy for or cheve now

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

You're comparing OBD I and OBD II. The latter is far more sophisticated.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

ok this is driviin me nuts i took it in to a well nonen smog shop they siad the front 02 was bad so they replaced it and then i toolk i tona 100 mile drive and the light came back on a gain now they say i have a code 420 wich has to do with the cat not being the right one or the heat range isnt right now how can this be whe i had it on for

15,000 mile and no problems and now there sayig it bad and the same place just smoged it not even 5000 mile ago so somethings not right and its nuts to pay 200-300 bils a t a time and still have th elight on what the hell is with the 0bd2 copms they suck if any one has any ideas on wht the heck i can do here thanks

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Take in to a Toyota service center so they can fix it with the parts that are supposed to be on the car.

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor