O2 Sensors on 2000 Explorer Sport

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport with 100KM on it and just recently the "Check Engine Light" came on. My mechanic pulled the codes and said it was the O2 sensors. It's been a few days since that and my "Check Engine Light" has gone off. Should I still replace the O2 sensors or should I just wait them out until the light comes back on?

Also, I've been quoted about $150 CDN for each sensor, can I get them for cheaper anywhere else?

One more thing, is it wise to just change 2 02 sensors (the faulty ones) or is it advisable to change all 4 at the dame time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Dan

It is wise to dump your mechanic.... Without knowing which codes were generated, you are askig me to take your mechanics word for the concern.... no diagnostics, just a terse "bring money....".

In 30 years, I have only replaced a handful of O2 sensors.... If the code(s) retrieved don't reference the O2 heaters, it is more than likely that the code(s) are symptomatic rather than causal and some more diagnostics are in order.

If this stuff was that simple, I wouldn't have a job...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the input. I'm located in Ontario near Toronto and have had trouble finding a reliable mechanic. MY current mechanic is kind of out-dated when it comes to new technology hence the reasons I've been looking for a replacement.

Can you recommend any bigger "franchise" mechanic shops that are reliable in the area?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dan

I'm reluctant to suggest any of the "big box" stores.... they're modus operandii is to lure consumers in with service specials and then apply high pressure sales techniques for any additional work they may either find or suggest.

Dealerships run the gamut from inept to great.... finding a good one is a lot like looking for a doctor.

Independent shops pretty much mirror the dealerships without natioanlly available warranty on repairs (the standard appears to be 12,000 km/90 days).

If you are an auto club member, you can check for their recommendations or you can check here... click on shop finder on the left hand side.... Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer.... there's just too many variables and too many personalities involved in each and every shop.

Reply to
Jim Warman