been thinking

instead of the tundra, thougt bout the 04 tacoma etra cab 4x4 auto v-6 pro's and con's on this trk please. i currently have a 2000 z71 extended cab but with chevy getting uglier, well its time for a change. also with the tacoma i heard that 5,000 miles is when they say to change oil, any truth to that? that came from the dealer. also is it cool to start using mobile one oil in the 3.4 v-6 from the get go? i heard if i remember right that in 05 the double cab tacoma will be offered in a full size bed, instead of the shorty, any truth to this? thanks again for your input.

Reply to
Charles H.

I just bought an '04 Tacoma V6 Prerunner myself. The Tundra was a little too long for my garage. Otherwise, it might have deserved paying more for one. The primary reason for selecting the Tacoma was its reputation for quality and dependability. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time if expensive repairs don't surface. Others have talked about the quality of their Tacomas here. Maybe they won't mind chiming in again.

As for the 5000 mile interval for oil changes, that's exactly what the manual is requiring. Look for posts by 1 Of The Masses elsewhere in this newsgroup for some excellent comments on the subject of synthetic oils. Highly recommended.

Based on what I've read, the '05 Tacomas undergo some major changes the least of which is its larger overall size. All of the compact pickups are apparently going in the midxize direction. It's strange to me considering the price of gasoline these days.

Reply to
Steve

I have had my truck for about 2 months now and am very impressed. It's a '04 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 TRD.

As I said in reply to another post on this group, my truck has been amazingly defect free. I have to admit that I envy the space and power of a full size V8 truck but after my short time with this little gem the only way you could get me to give it up is at gun point.

I have purchased many new vehicles and all of them had one minor thing or another that needed attention - I have come to expect it these days. This truck has raised my expectations of how a new vehicle should be presented to a customer. It is possible to build a truck that has nothing wrong with it.

I know I may sound like a bad Toyota commercial but I am just stunned that this truck has not one single flaw.

Foy

Reply to
Foy Blackmon

Dont get me wrong, I love my 01 Tacoma 4x4 trd extracab. Mine went about 4 mo's then started to have a lot of problems.

In short Rattle In dash (took them 3 times to fix)

2 times to fix a fuse that kept blowing. driver seat rails had to be replaced. The little stip on the black fenders 4 times and each time all 4 of them. 2 Recalls so far. 2 Times to replace the center console. It cracked.

I think that's it.

Reply to
kkweaver

I own a 2000 PreRunner V-6 with 12,000mi on (don't drive much, but is driven daily). Bought it new, and I never had to take it back for any problem. Everything worked the way it was supposed to...albeit a minor rattle from the passenger side airbag that I'm sure was corrected on later models. With a synthetic oil, you probably can run 5,000mi. between changes (I change mine every 2,000-2,500mi or summer/winter season). I too am waiting like others to see exactly how the new Tacomas will look/function. Next year I'll be looking closly at all the 05 trucks and make my decision on a new one...or just hold on to the one I have. That being said, I love the 04 double cab Tacoma and Tundra. Choices, choices.

Reply to
studio

The new 4.0L v6 (already in the 4Runner) that will be in the 05 Taco's will probably get the same mileage as the 3.4L v6. They buy gasoline too

Reply to
VTbeWARNING

Bought a 2004 tacoma dbl cab prerunner v6 about 7 weeks ago. It has quit on me 3 times so far, been in the shop for about 2 weeks altogether. Water has been leaking into the cab and shorting out the computer.

Reply to
Scott D.

Ouch! How is (was) water leaking into the cab?

Reply to
Steve

thanks ppl for the respnses so far. its really helpin me pick and make my mind up.

Reply to
Charles H.

Coming in from behind the dash somewhere, it took them a few tries but I think they may have fixed it this time. Time and a heavy rain will tell...

Reply to
Scott D.