Engines for Dummies

How about a primer on Toyota Engines?

I see terms like 20r and 22r etc. What does it all mean?

-CB

Reply to
Cyberbilly

Lots of good historical information here:

In short, R is the basic engine series (i.e. block design), 18, 20, 22 are revisions, so a 22R is the 22nd revision of the R block. E is Electronic Fuel Injection, T is Turbo-charged, etc.

Reply to
Roger Brown

At first I thought the numbers stood for size: 18r 1.8L, etc., but the

22r is 2.4L, so that theory went out the window. Your explanation makes more sense...
Reply to
TOM