Fan belt change on 1985 Toyota F Van two litre petrol.

Hi all,

My fan belt ( alternator, water pump, crankshaft pulley belt) disintegrated on the way home tonight and tomorrow I need to decide either to replace it myself or take it to a garage.

Is replacing the belts straight forward or is there a lot of awkward work involved.....keep in mind I will be working alone at the side of the road in minus 3 or 4 degrees ( I live in Norway).

I worked as a mechanic many years ago so am fairly good at repairs..I just don't want to start something then realise too late it was a mistake to even start the job.

Regards and thanks for reading.

Alan

snipped-for-privacy@frisurf.no

PS The belt for the power steering is still intact....should it be replaced at the same time? I think I will have to remove it before fitting the new alternator, waterpump and crankshaft belt anyway.

Reply to
Itzonlyme

For what its worth to anyone....I ended up going ahead and changing the belts......required tools were a 12mm half inch drive socket and ratchet, large screwdrivers for leverage plus a largish adjustable spanner to turn the engine round.

No removal of cowling parts whatsoever..just sneak the old belts over the fan assembly and sneak the new ones back on again, adjust and that's it.

It was a complete snow blizzard today but I still got it done.

Regards Alan

Reply to
Itzonlyme

Good news, glad it worked out well for you...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM