Floor mat adhesive

I have an 84 4x4 xtracab that I am refurbishing (slowly). I have finally got around to tearing out the interior because it has worn out. The plastic is brittle like patato chips. There is a black adhesive mat glued to the floor. I want to get this stuff up along with all the fuzz stuck to it so I can get the inside Rhino lined. Somebody have some ideas for what to use? I sprayed wd-40 just for funnsies and it melts, but the process is way too slow. Just about the whole floor is coated with this stuff. There was really a bifg mess under the mat. I'm glad I peeled it off cause it was retaining dirt and rocks and mud and therefore, rust.

Thanx in advance.

Reply to
Brad Taylor

It's probably an asphalt soaked felt, like roofing tar. Cheap and effective. Get an electric hot-air heat gun and try CAREFULLY heating it up and scraping or peeling it off. Don't go to solvents (which is all WD-40 is, Kerosene and Stoddard Solvent) till you have the bulk of it out, or it'll take forever.

Standard admonitions apply: Gloves, goggles, long sleeves, fire extinguisher, good insurance...

Make sure to neutralize or remove all the rust before applying coatings like Rhino, or it'll keep rusting under the plastic. And if they put it on thick, it should have the same sound-deadening effect.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman