Got a couple questions about my 92 4x4 PU

Greetings All, I have a new to me 92 4X4 extended cab pickup with automatic hubs, 5 speed, and the V6 engine. When in 4 wheel drive the wheels bind when turning at low speed. For example if I'm in a dirt parking lot making a fairly tight turn and moving at about walking speed the truck seems to bind. Like it wants to go straight instead of turning. And I can hear the back tires and front tires alternately slipping. I have been told that this is normal. Backing up in 4WD and turning does the same thing. After straightening the wheels but still moving backwards the wheels still seem to drag or bind. And the truck jumps a little. Once moving straight ahead this binding goes away. The truck rolls equally well straight ahead whether in 2WD or 4WD. Is this binding really normal? The other question I have is about 1st gear popping out sometimes. If I'm not careful the truck will pop out of first gear. I believe this is because it is not going all the way in to gear. I think the gear shift lever is not moving as far when this happens. Once in gear completely though it will not pop out no matter what I do. It only happens when I'm in a hurry and not really paying attention to how far I'm pushing the gear shift. Could this be an adjustment problem? Thank You, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Yes

The other question I have is about 1st gear popping out

It may be an easy fix. Remove the shifter from the top af the tranny. There are 2 bushings, one on the end of the shifter and another that the shifter rides in. If either of these is broken it will cause the problem you have.

Mike

Greetings Mike, Thanks for the speedy response and the good advice. Since the binding is normal can you tell me why? Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

The binding happens because there is no differential between the front and back wheels. When turning the front wheels take a longer path than the back wheels so they have to spin faster (ie roll over more ground.). This is why you never run in 4x4 on pavement, or any grippy surface for that matter, if you did it would put a lot of stress on your transmission and 4x4 components.

HTH,

-Andrew

P.S. Have you checked with toyota about possible recalls on your truck? You can email them your VIN through their website. Do it! Just this past January I had them do my head gasket, steering rod relay and headlight wiring all for free.

Reply to
DruG

When you make a turn your front tires turn at a different speed than the rear tires. When you are in four wheel drive the transfer case locks both front and rear driveshafts together, so they are forced to turn at the same speed. Now, when you make a turn in four wheel drive, the front and rear tires still want to travel at different speeds but this is not possible because the driveshafts are locked together. The only way they can turn at different speeds is if the tires slip. That is why you only want to use four wheel drive on a loose or slick surface such as snow or loose dirt. If you use four wheel drive on a hard surface, such as a paved road, it will cause the drive line to bind up. If this binding cannot be relieved by tire slippage you can break parts in your drivetrain.

Reply to
Mike

Greetings Andrew and Mike, You both gave me a clear and concise explanation for the binding. After reading them it became obvious. I should have figured that out myself. And thanks Andrew for the recall info. I'll e-mail Toyota today and see if there are any that apply to my truck. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Shift lever pilot bushing # 33548-31010 (green)=3D$7 CDN Shift lever seat # 33505-35020 or 33505-35030 (white)=3D$16 CDN

Note: the 2 above #'s fit all trannies:G,R,W series (22R,R-E,3VZE)84-95.5,no need for entire shift lever retainer (85-95.5 pre-Tacoma)

21 Toyota headgasket & oil sludge recall sites:

recall)
recall)
Note: call your local Toyota stealership and give them VIN if they refuse to recall contact the Toyota Regional Head Office for your area of the USA and file a complaint,they will inturn give your local boneheads 48 hours to comply and give you a free rental car for the duration of the repairs.

About your drive train binding in 4x4 on dry pavement:

Sidney=AE =99 Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid front straight axle,factory cruise control,sunroof,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 251 000 KM
Reply to
sidneybek

Greetings Sidney, Thanks for all the above info. Searching the web for recalls on my truck only came up with a suspension component and it has already been replaced due to a recall by the previous owner. Cheers, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow