Grinding noise when shifting from 2Hi to 4Low

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!! I have a 2003 toyota tacoma with the TRD package, V6, automatic. Just recently I took it off road and afterward I notice that whenever I put it into 4 High(by pushing the button) it goes in fine but when I take 4 High off it makes a big clunk noise. I also notice when the transmission is in neutral and then I switch the transfer case from 2High to 4 Low it makes a loud grinding noise! When I switch the transfer case from Neutral to 2 High it also grinds a lot!! Not a good sound!!! Does anyone know what this could be? I have been told it could be the electronic shifter motor needs to be replaced but I want to get some other opinions to what it might be!! Thanks again for the help!

When I was wheeling I forgot to put the tranmission in neutral before putting the transfer case into 4 Low, but I wouldn't think just one time of doing that would cause this big of a problem.

Reply to
tbone