Loss of power and slipping out of first

My 90 4x4 truck makes a loud breathing noise when Im at a stop. It gets either stuck in idle or makes an in and out breathing noise.I changed the plugs, gas filter, PBC valve and put some good lub in with the oil.My truck is weak and has no power and shakes a lot sometimes. I know it sounds like a piece of junk but I love it and can't part with it,please help me save him.

Reply to
Jen424

First it sounds like you need to check for vacuum leaks, suspect that's a sure problem. IAC could be dirty and/or sticking, not sure on specifics, maybe someone else will post procedure or you can google for it, lot's of posts on that subject. Again, not positive on the specifics but others have posted that Toy's coil is inside the distibutor cap and that oil leaking around the o-ring can cause shorts and spark jump. You can goodle this for more specific info but, first fix is to clean thoroughly inside the cap and the coil with denatured alcohol. If really oily then you may have to r&r the o-ring. If spark jumping or tracking has damaged the inside of the cap or terminals then you will have to r&r the cap (probably a good idea to do this with the basic tune-up anyway). Staying with the basics, did you use OEM plugs or the cheapest? Pull plug(s) to check if they are fouled. Are the plug wires in good shape? You need to resistance check them to be sure. Rule of thumb is appx 3-5K ohms per foot. Check for leakage by watching plug wires at night with engine running. Any leakage should show as sparks or glow around wires. Did you cross any wires where one is laying on top of the other or damage a wire when pulling them off? davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Before you fix anything else, FIX THE VACUUMN LEAK! Take a 3' piece of vacuumn hose, stick one end in an ear and move the other end around your warmed up running engine. Just be careful around moving parts. When you find the leak, you'll know it. It'll be a loud hissing sound.

Reply to
MrFixit469