HELP!! I cant remove old oil filter 93 V6 4wd PU

I started to change the oil today on a pickup i bought about 3000 miles ago. the guy just did an oil change so its time again. I drained the pan and tried to remove the oil filter. it wont budge. i bought one of those cap type wrenches- no use. I tried everything and two different strap type wrenches. no use. I drained the coolant and removed the temp sender unit to give myself more room and still no luck. any other suggestions? I dont want to drive the truck because the strap wrench significantly dented the filter, and im sure it is probly blocked now....HELP!!!! Thanx

Reply to
Matt C.

Harlen Ng

i tried this already actually. I ended up going back to the auto store (3rd time today) and bought a pair of pliers made for oil filters. they just crushed it even more, but i was able to get a bit near the very bottom, and i got it off. It literally took me almost 4 hours of fighting to get this oil filter off!!! i need more practice! well, while i was in there, i checked my brakes, and changed the coolant. I guess i am ready for summer now! Thanx all,

Reply to
Matt C.

I've done the screwdriver trick before where I had leverage on a Nissan, but another option which I did two months ago when my dented old filter refused to budge on my Toy V6 was a one-directional oil filter wrench from AutoZone, made by OEM Industrial, part number 25017. There are three L-shaped prongs on a ratcheting mechanism. It fits on a 3/8" socket wrench handle. It will only work in one direction removing 2 1/2" to 3 7/8" filters.

Good luck,

Bill, '98 Toy 4Rnr SR5

Reply to
Bill McCalla

Beat me to it, those are the way to go, they're like Chinese Love Finger traps or whatever. I did the spike thru the oil filter with a screwdriver trick once and ended up with 1/2 a oil filter flapping in the wind, the other half still stuck.

Reply to
TacomaDude

Matt,

I have had good luck driving a screw driver thru the side of it. It gives you more grip and, in the end, you will probably have to destroy the filter anyways. It's kinda messy, but it does work...Maybe a chain wrench. I have seen one that has a set of vise grips incorporated into it. That will/should also work...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

remember to oil the gasket on the new filter and then turn it till it touches the 3/4 turn max further. some people think that if tight is good, use an impact wrench is better.

Reply to
rmlishbrook

use a band type wrench that has a place to put a rachett in it. the most inportant part you have to grab the filter up near the engine not on the outer end. have done this on 3 different cars and it has always worked . even after everythig else has failed grab it as close to the bottom as you can. good luck.

Reply to
Dave Ddd

I use a pair of channel-lock pliers to remove stubborn oil filters. It crushes the filter, but usually never fails to remove it. I did have to use the screw driver trick...once.

  1. Visually inspect; to make sure the old filter gasket didn't come off and stick to the block...(a possible side effect of a "stubborn" filter, 2 gaskets may cause significant or even total oil loss).
  2. Install; by coating the new flter gasket with oil, and snuggly tighten by hand using no wrenches of any kind. (My hand tight may not be your hand tight, so...)
  3. Test; start the motor and look for leaks.
Reply to
studio