Help identifying noise

Hi List,

Son's 4wd pickup, an 86 I think, 4 cyl., has a noise we are trying to figure out. It is a light erratic tiny sound, a bit like a rattling piece of shielding, but seems to be coming from engine front or maybe the left side. Son is afraid it might be the timing chain guides he has heard about. So, here are our questions:

- Do we have a timing chain rather than belt, and is there a scheduled replacement?

- Is this a destructive engine as in valves striking top of piston?

- What does a loose chain or bad guides, whatever they are called, make a sound like my description?

- Any other ideas about the sound.

Thanks, Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Winslow (Dad)

Chain:

22R is an interference engine

Never had mine get to the point of making noise. A few years after getting my truck, I went ahead and replace the t-chain just so I would know when it was done.

See if you can duplicate the noise by tapping around/under the engine with a rubber mallet. May be any number of things.

Reply to
Roger Brown

See if the heat shielding is rusted loose on the catalytic converter. 3 of the 4 tack welds were gone on mine - ripped it off and noise disappeared. How many miles on the '86? If 140 and up and original chain then I worry more that it is indeed that.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Noise is right up front, not around the cat, but it does sound a bit like that.

It is less than 140, but somewhere over 100K. Thanks for the advice, I think he should probably go ahead and replace the chain anyway. Whether noise goes away or not, he can rest easier knowing the chain is ok.

Thanks, Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Winslow (Dad)

I've had good luck in locating sounds by putting a screwdriver handle butt firmly to my ear and touch the blade end to various parts of the engine. The sounds will couple to your ear really effectively. You can make an "extension" with a metal coathanger....

Reply to
Don Restin

Reply to
Brian Faddis

interference

plastic

Its a very light and high frequency noise, like the flutering of a few pieces of light tin in the flow. I was really hoping someone would say oh yea, not the chain, its the flexing of the fan blades in their plastic hubs, anything!

without

Thanks. This will be a hard sell, son got the truck for $1k, uses it everyday for work, so loosing its use for days or having someon else do it for over $1,000 are both hard to imagine him doing. He does love his truck however, so maybe.

Thanks to you and everyone for the help.

Dave W.

Reply to
Dave Winslow (Dad)