IFS problem

Having some problems with my IFS on my 1990 SR5 xtra cab. The side gear shaft (axle flange) on the right (Passenger) side has quite a bit of play in it. I was told that there is a bearing inside but the housing (Carrier) is worn so the bearing can't be replaced so I have to replace the entire carrier assembly. Sound reasonable? I just find it strange that the carrier would wear rather than just the bearing. It sounds like my best option is to look for a used carrier from the wreckers rather than rebuilding it. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
DB

ZaXXoN