90 & 01 4Runner spark plug change - hard?

2 thoughts: one is that book requires change at 30K for a non-platinum plug on the 2001 Sport - so I guess I need to do to keep warranty up on vehicle, although car runs fine.

real question is: looks like a real pain to access these plugs to change - like how much must I take off and are there any problems seating these plugs down in these holes or should I be aware of anything concerning those "coil things" on the plug caps? I am no mechanic, but not a complete dummy either.

also, I bought plugs at the dealer for $2.17 each - my favorite Checker Auto wanted $3.99. The air filter was also cheaper at the dealer - always worth checking - guess the world is full of little suprises!

Costs to change plugs - and only change plugs (which some call a tune-up) ranged from $69 at Firestone, dealer at $89, another dealer at $109 and Goodyear at $149 (ouch - they wanted $69 for plug change and additional cause of this type of plug with these coils). This just SEEMS like a lot of money to change six plugs in the 3.4 liter V6.

BTW, also have a 90 Runner needing a plug change in the 3.0 liter V6 (only has 145K and is a superb truck) - is this also a pain in the ____, do do I need any special tools for either car?

thanks in advance, tom p.s. my 1st post here - nice forum!

Reply to
Thomas

I can't comment on the '01, but on the '90 V6 you won't need any special tools, just patience, and the right combination of socket extensions. For the drivers side, take the air intake ducting off to make room.. Nothing to take off on the other side..

Reply to
Ben Smith

Buy (if you don't already have) a spark plug socket wrench because it will have a rubber insert that will hold the plug as you withdraw it and as you insert the new plug.

Also, it's a good idea to blow out the recesses before you remove the plugs. Keeps crap and crud from getting into the cylinder.

Put a little anti-seize compound on the threads before you install the new plugs.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

Excellent advice, Bearman. It took me over two hours to get out a hard to reach plug that had seized up here recently. Truly, it was a miracle that I got it out at all without breaking it or rounding the nut. So, you can bet I am now a big fan of anti-seize on my new plugs.

I like the blowing out the recesses advice to.

Make sure your socket is six-point. I think all the plug sockets are - but if you put a multi-point deep socket on a seized plug and it slips, you will be in a whole new ballgame. Six-points are less likely to slip and round the nut.

If the '90 is like the '88 (same engine) -- and I imagine it is -- the No. 5 plug is a witch's tit to replace. The vacuum hoses, charcoal canister, reed valve, and a/c lines all get in the way. You will need some extensions and a u-joint or two to get it out without removing anything. As the other fellow said 2, 4, & 6 are 'cake' once you remove the air handling stuff. 1 and 3 are grinning at you from the get-go.

Good Luck,

Luther

Reply to
Luther

I have that engine in a '90 pickup. I tried changing the plugs myself once, and managed to lose the plug socket after the first 2 or 3 plugs. on top of the exhaust manifold in a place where it proved impossible to get out, up or down. As far as I know, it's still bouncing around in there. So I paid somebody else to finish.

I have another set, and a new socket that stays on my wrench, and I'm planning to give it another try, if it warms up a little out there.

Does anybody recommend using anti-sieze stuff or anything on the threads? I have nightmares about VW plugs tearing out the threads in the head when unscrewed. Unbolting head, drilling and retapping and insert-adding: money more. Ahh -- I've read the rest of the thread just now and learned that yes you would recommend that. Now I'll have to go look for some.

Reply to
David Buchner

I use anti-seize compound on my '97 4-Runner with the V-6. I have never had a problem with the plugs getting loose. I just dab a bit on the threads. I'm not even close to covering all of the threads. Right now I have over 160k on the engine.

Reply to
Gordon