Ignition Tumblers

Anybody else having trouble starting their Tundra. If I am not careful to fully turn the key to off before removing it I can spend 15 minutes trying to get the key to turn the ignition to start the truck. Will a new key help the problem? Something else? The truck is a 2000 tundra.

Reply to
ribbet4

I'm a locksmith but I don't do automotive work, just commercial and residential security. Your Tundra uses thin metal wafers instead of pins in the locks, and yes, a worn key can cause turning problems. Does the same problem occur when you use the key on the doors and any other locks on the truck? The ignition lock usually uses more (or all) of the cuts on a key, whereas the other locks use only some of them; so if the key *does* work smoothly on the door locks that doesn't necessarily mean the key isn't worn. It could be an indicator though, if the other locks are hard to operate.

If you're like me you don't want to waste money, so I'd suggest that you take your key to a locksmith shop which does service autos (to save the $50 or $60 service call charge) and have them take a look at your key. If it's worn to the point it would cause the problem they should be able to tell you, and they could generate a new key to code. If the problem is in the lock cylinder they should also be able to service the lock itself.

Reply to
Radrunner

In addition to what the guy that is a locksmith said, I'd like to ask if your trouble is related to the steering wheel being turned and whether it is placing a load on the lock set that makes the lock difficult to turn.

Try moving the steering wheel from side to side when the key is stuck. Many ignition lock set operational problems are caused because the steering lock ring is wedged against the mechanism. Of course, this assumes the lock set actually works, and the locksmith guy talks about that side of the issue.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

======== ========

wafers...hmmmm. Interesting.

Probly never need to use it..but still...if the conversation ever arises, now i know that if the other locks work ok with the key...

good info.

Learned sum'tin.

~:~ marsh ~sips his crownroyal....wonders if how much more his brain can stand~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

No it is not related to the steering wheel nor the shift lever. The key does unlock the doors without any problems. It doesn't matter which key we use mine or my wife's. I guess they could both be worn.

Reply to
ribbet4

Probably due for a new ignition switch. If you talk with a locksmith that services cars, pls let us all know what they say.

Reply to
K. Shelton

If the keys work well in the other locks, then the keys are fine. Your ignition lockset is toast ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland