Is this a good deal on a 00 Tundra?

Hello, I have been looking for a good used 00-01 Tundra in the 10k price range (Im on a tight budget) and have not found a one for under 11k uless it had very high mileage. My dealer had 2 that had 70k miles for

15,995 and a ragged out 4X4 for 14k and would not budge off price. I bid on one on ebay for 8600 and won. The truck looks great SR5 access cab with 103k miles. Has 2 tone paint (green and silver) Now Im really nervous about buying a vehicle that I have never drove but dealer has a guarantee that if the vehicle is not everything they said it was you do not have to purchase even though you won the bid. Only thing is it is 300 miles from me and will have to take off work or either have it shipped. Any comments on what to look for? I have never purchased a vehicle like this before.

Thanks Danny

Reply to
Dad-x-2

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a 2000 Tundra on Ebay and went from West Palm Beach to Naples, FL to pick it up. It had 87,000 miles on it.

I've been very happy with it and it now has about 140,000 miles. The only thing I've had to do was replace one out of round tire and the front brake rotors to get rid of a pulsing when I stop hard. It's apparently a common problem on the early Tundras.

103,000 miles is not a lot for those engines. I've got a friend who has over 250,000 on a 2000 Tundra and hasn't e done anything other than oil changes and it runs like a top.

Sounds to me like a great deal unless you get there and find something you don't like or something that the seller misreprented to you. I bought mine from a Lexus dealer that was taken as a trade in. That made me feel a little better.

Barry

Reply to
F330 GT

It would be nice to take another person if you can to help look, sometimes that extra pair of eyes see's things you miss, but you really can't nit pic the truck as it is used.

Look under the hood for primer overspray( near the fenders) to indicate there has been some body work, also along the door handles and under them, maybe have your friend follow you as you test drive the vehicle to see if its tracking straight and not dog trailing.Look it over for hail damage, in the shade as you can not see anything in the sun.

Pay attention to the way it drives the way the trans shifts and you wiull be ok.

You will most likely get an excellent vehicle, good luck

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Thanks for the replys. I ran the car through carfax and it cheked ut showing no accidents or serious problems. Said it was a lease vehicle owned by a bank in Fla. Also dealer said that if it is misrepresented in any way will give full refund. I am having vehicle shipped as I work 2 jobs and cant get off to drive 400 miles. It also has a i month/1000 miles warranty on drivetrain.

Danny

Reply to
specman1

Danny,

The Ebay pictures of your truck look pretty good to me!

Sounds like you got some great advice already regarding hail and body damage, tranny shifting, etc...

If you really want another set of eyes to look it over, I suggest taking it to a reputable local mechanic once it arrives (assuming it passes your own initial inspection). For about $50, you should be able to get a thorough inspection of the vehicle. This should include pulling all 4 wheels and inspecting the brakes, and putting it up in the air to allow for inspection of the frame and chasis for any signs of major body work. Be sure to check the tranny fluid color/smell for any signs of burning too.

FWIW, if there are no major problems, I think you got yourself a great buy! Best of luck with it...

Charlie

Reply to
CharlieL

Thanks Charlie, if it runs as good as it looks Ill be happy. I am going to have it checked over when it arrives. I have already decided if it does not pass my inspection I will trade it in on a 05 LWB tundra with the new 4.0 V6. The book on my truck is only slightly less than new 05 reg cab. I know the reg cab is not as loaded as the access cab but thr new car warranty is piece of mind. The reg cab was my second choice.

Danny

aka hardworking-poorman

Reply to
Dad-x-2