Looking for instructions...removing heater control assembly, 1984 pickup

I'm not sure if the heater control assembly comes out with the panel all in one piece, and Il don't know where the holding screws and bolts are located. I'd appreciate some guidance, or even a link to a website with instructions.

Thanks, jc

Reply to
jbclem

pull the slide knobs straing out and off. Gently pry off the clear plastic hot/cold faceplate. Then you can remove the control unit.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Do you mean the levers in the center of the dash?

To get to them you have to remove most of the dash on the passenger side. It is a pain in the ass.

You have to remove the glove compartment and then reach up from below the dash with a really long screwdriver to remove some screws that clip the passenger side to the front internal crash bar.

The knobs pull off and the plastic cover plate just snaps out if you slip a thin pry-bar under one end, but that does not get you inside the dash to the pivot points.

My '85 kept popping the pivot pin on the heat control lever because the valve in the engine compartment was leaking. This gummed it up and required too much leverage to move it. The plastic pivot pin on the lever arm kept popping out. I replaced the valve and replaced the plastic pivot pin with a stainless bolt and nyloc nut.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Boy, two completely different instructions...I like the easier one, but something has to be holding the control assembly in place, hard to believe it will just pop out. But with the face plate off I should be able to see something.

Ernie, in my case because of a stiff cable (frozen heater control valve), one of the top retainer clips (holding down one of the levers on it's pivot) popped off and vanished, so I need to figure out how to fix this problem. That almost sounds like your problem except that it wasn't a pivot pin, just some kind of clip. But I might be able to take your idea and if it is a removable pin that held the missing retainer clip...replace it with a nut and bolt arrangement.

Thanks for both suggestions.

jc

Reply to
jbclem