Loud noise behind dash

I have a 1990 4Runner V6 4x4 with 388,000 km. There was a noise behind the dash that was speed sensitive and very irritating. I had the speedo cable replaced but I still get the noise and the needle jumping around mostly in the morning. What else could it be? It took them 3 hrs to change the cable - not cheap! Please help!

Reply to
Marty

Speedometer may be bad--I've seen them fail like this.

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

"Marty" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Might be the aircon ducts that rattle on the bulkhead. But the jumping needle might implicate that the work hasn't been done too seriously :-( Here are more suggestions:

Greetz, Frank

Reply to
Painless

Can I replace only the speedo (or broken parts of it) or do I have to replace the whole cluster? Is it a big job?

Reply to
Marty

getting to the speedo is a huge PITA :(

Matt

Well that settles that: it has to be the speedometer! Try thinking out of the box, instead of getting to the speedometer, maybe pull the entire cluster. Often times this is easier than trying one part.

A good shop/body manual is excellent if it covers this--there are so many things you don't realize... Things like, is there a pushon clip, or a hidden screw holding a trim piece!

Reply to
Peter D. Hipson

thinking

Getting either out is a PITA :(

Reply to
web1000

I forget what kind of vehicle but the speedometer head should be separate from the rest of the cluster. The head is not user-serviceable so you have to replace the head.

Reply to
Ray O