More brands of "Oil for high mileage engines"

--quote-- More Brands Crowd High-Mileage Segment

By Tim Sullivan

Shelf space for "high-mileage" motor oils became more crowded this month with the launch of four more entrants into the category.

With the arrival of the newest brands, nearly every major U.S. motor oil supplier now has a product marketed for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles. The category has solidified its position as part of the motor oil market - not only because of the growth it has achieved in just four years, but also because of enormous potential perceived by suppliers. Of course, the fact that it offers healthier-than-average margins only enhances supplier enthusiasm.

The newest high-mileage oils were all unveiled at the Automotive Aftermarket Products Expo held in Las Vegas at the start of this month. They are: Kendall GT-1 High Mileage Synthetic Blend from ConocoPhillips; Exxon Superflo High Mileage from ExxonMobil; and Havoline High Mileage Protection and Chevron Supreme High Mileage, both from ChevronTexaco.

Although some marketers are trying to differentiate their product - ConocoPhillips, for example, pitches its GT-1 as a premium high-mileage oil - all make similar claims: that their oils maintain viscosity and help protect old seals, thereby fighting leaks and reducing build up of deposits.

--end quote--

Reply to
Ken Shelton

people that buy these products probably have a garage full of Slick 50

Reply to
Ben Dover

It actually can make things WORSE, as these tend to have a fair amount of solvents and detergents in them. Normal oil got that Mercedes and that Volvo to over 1 million miles each, so I see no reason to change.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

two other of my favorites are STP and Marvel Mystery Oil

Reply to
Ben Dover

I started using "over 75,000 mile" oil about a year ago. Since then, the various leaks and drips have virtually gone away, except for the rear main seal, and even that stopped coating the bottom of my pickup. The leak is down to an occasional drip.

I guess you can count me as owning a 170,000 mile (plus) poster pickup ('88 half ton, 22R) for high-mileage oil...

Sorry to disappoint, but no Slick 50 either... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

"Ken Shelton" >

75,000

They cannot be seriously saying that their own 'normal' oil causes some kind of undue wear that results in a mere 75000 miles being somehow 'high mileage'? No, it is only a marketing gimmick which has the combined effect of planting a seed of doubt that maybe they should change at 3000 miles after all [there's a lot of oil changes in 75k if done every 3000 compared to 15000 ;-) for the math challenged, that is 25 changes verses 5 LOL] and also to get consumers to pay a premium which is highly profitable to the oil company. It only needs one brand to make some market impact for the others to cynically follow.

It should be no surprise that the market penetration in Europe for such oil is near zero. The market penetration for long drain oils is high and rising rapidly as they become 'standard' on more new car models.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Read my post a little further up... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM