More HP for a 22r? Need advice

I've got a '85 one ton pickup (RV) with a 22r-efi & want to try to gain a few more horses. I'm looking for bolt-on extra power, it doesn't have to turn this thing into a monster, just need a couple more horses to help hold it in overdrive out on the Interstate.

LOL.... no fuel line magnets!

The truck just turned over 34,000 miles & I'm not wanting to tear it apart to accomplish this feat.

I'm looking for suggestions, maybe different fuel injectors?

The vehicle can be seen at..

Hobby Trucker

Reply to
Hobby Trucker

Looks nice, 34K miles eh. What a find. Drop a call if you see another else in your travels.

Why do you want more power? You could replace your radiator and hoses, flush the transmission, maybe even change a water pump. If you weigh this coach, you are pretty much at max weight. that applies to the suspension, brakes, and driveline. I recommend taking it easy in the slow lane. You're underpowered, and short of major money, you will still be under powered.

Consider dropping weight? that roof top air conditioner is 100 pounds. Keep the water tank low and the waste water empty. Watch your personal items. Try to think like a backpacker.

Reply to
SBC Usenet

Nice looking rig. Bet it does ok at 55mph; the speed limit when it was built. IMHO it needs more than bolt on to give you enough power to push the wind at 70mph. I almost bought one, that wasn't near as clean as yours, with the idea of dropping in a GM 4.3 V-6 with the auto tranny. Also, there is/was an issue with the rear end. Axles were breaking and the fix was a beefier unit. Found this with a Yahoo search:

g/80184.cfm

Reply to
Jarhead

Thanks! It sat idle, other then being periodically driven around the block to help keep it limber, for about 12 years.

So that maybe it'll hold the overdrive at maybe 60 or in a headwind & not be dropping down to third. It doesn't do bad, just a few extra HP's would more then likely make a difference.

There's no issue with over heating. I have though, flushed the cooling system, had the trans fluid flushed, & added a tranny cooler.... as a precautionary measure.

Weighing it is something that I still need to do. More precautionary measures... new tires, rotors, pads, rear shoes, u-joints, carrier bearing ( @ $75.00 !!!), amongst many other things.

The slow lane in some states where the speed limit is 70 or 75 still isn't a good place to be..... maybe the scenic routes? LOL

Hobby Trucker

Reply to
Hobby Trucker

Thanks.

If you tach it out in third, it'll get up over 70mph. I'd say your summary of the 55mph is on target, that seems to be where it's geared at.

My engine swapping days are over. My all time favorite was dropping a small block Chevy in my Landcruiser.

I'd read about this prior, it's a concern of mine.

'toyotarv'

Hobby Trucker

Reply to
Hobby Trucker

You should have done what my dad did for years: You special-order the motorhome from the factory with a stick - you lose too much performance with a slushbox in a heavy vehicle with marginal power.

With the 22-REC you had to stay out of 5th on mild hills, but with the last one being a V-6 it would pull 5th just fine on mild slopes. Though you did have to drop to 4th when the road started getting vertical, it would still pull moderate grades like the I-5 Grapevine at the speed limit in 4th, no problems.

At this point, it's not easy to swap transmissions for an automatic.

As the old racers say, "There's no substitute for cubic inches", but better breathing through forced induction is almost as effective - I would look for help in the form of a turbocharger or supercharger. TRD doesn't show anything for older vehicles, but they are out there.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

What's your email address? I have one very similar to that on an 86 or 97 22re automatic for sale. Only 67K on it. The AC in the cab kicks butt! grin

Cappy

Reply to
Cappy

Oops, that's 86 or 87 22re. Some of the papers came w/ '86, some with '87. I think it's an 86 truck but they built out the camper in '87. It's an automatic w/ bucket seats, has AC in the cab.

I bought it w/ 67K on it, it now has 70K on it.

Can sleep four in two full size beds. One bed is over the cab. The couch pulls out to second full size bed. The table also drops off of its pedestal to make a bench which could sleep a (very) short person. grin

Has propane hot water, four burner stove, small oven, and refrigerator. The frig can get so cold it can be used as a freezer if desired.

The camper has AC that can only be used when attached to electricity. It's too much to run off of the camper battery. There are a couple of fans that can run off the camper battery.

Has a small bathroom that includes a tiny shower. grin

Has a small kitchen sink w/ storage for kitchen gear.

Has a couple of other storage compartments.

I've only ever used it as a glorified tent with electric lights. grin I haven't used any of the propane appliances but have instructions as to how to turn them on.

When I brought it up from FL to MD on I 95, it got 15mpg going 75mph. It was much happier once I moved off of 95 and on to Rt. 301 and could go slower as was stated earlier in this thread. grin

If you have any questions, please email me:

cappy_p at juno dot com

Thanks, Cappy

Reply to
Cappy