Wiring diagram for a 86 22R Automatic Pickup

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my Overdrive on my 86 Toyota pickup with a 22R, and of course automatic transmission. I solved two problems with the system already. First the wires connecting the shifter switch were cut. No problem rewired the switch. Then replaced the bulbs in the Overdrive light. Now the switch activates the Overdrive light but not the Overdrive itself.

So I'm trying to find a wiring diagram, online if possible to find out where it actually activates the Overdrive. Can anyone help? Should I be looking at the transmission or the distributor?

TIA,

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

======== ========

BEFORE......you go doing anything else, do this.............

There is an OD solenoid on the drivers side of the transmission. It will be the only bolt on thing with wires going to it, just above the pan, located about mid section of the trannies body.

Unbolt it......take it out.....then take off the o-ring that's on the end of it. Bolt it back up and go for a test drive.

If you now have OD, you can either concern yerself with repairing the evident wiring problem or bad OD solenoid.

or.......... you could just go about yer merry little way and live with the fact that you now have OD but not the function of cancelling it out.

If OD doesn't work after removing that o-ring, you've got a bigger problem than wiring or solenoid. The problem will be internal of the unit, or a plugged up solenoid passage.

Fact, not fiction.

do a repost..... let us know.

~:~ Marsh Monster ~sips his mushroom tea~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks, I found a 85 shop manual and found what I was looking for. There seems to be a way to test the solenoid. It cant be that much to replace, I had to replace the Reverse light switch on my 93 4Runner before, and that was not too bad. Right now anything that will get me into OD would be great, coz I'm only getting 20 miles to the gallon. I'm hoping I don't need to go into the valve body of the tranny, coz that's the next step if the Solenoid is OK. I'll keep you updated on what happens.

Thanks again.

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Define anything.

The easiest way to get OD is to yank the o-ring off the solenoid.

(maybe i used too many words in my first reply..??..)

~:~ Marsh Monster ~anything can be hard, if you make it hard~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Maybe as a last resort, but if the replacing the Solenoid is needed and within reasonable cost, why not?

Reply to
Joseph Wind