Normal???...

I've noticed when I changed my oil('87 22RE) that there's a small spot of whitish, oily slop on the bottom of the filler cap. After cleaning it out and driving it a few days the spot returns. The engine doesn't smoke, lose water, or seems to get any extra "oil" into it on its own so I was wondering if this is anything to worry about or if it's just normal moisture getting in there from somewhere. TIA for any advice!....probably getting ready to explode with my luck...

Reply to
Robbo

It has always occurred in my engines during cold weather and under high humidity conditions. Especially when the truck/car has not been driven long enough for the engine to get hot enough to drive all of the moisture out of the crank case. I had a VW van with dual carbs that was prone to carb ice as well as this white gunk during cold weather. I sold the VW with over 90kmiles on the engine and it was still running strong and not burning any oil. Not bad for an overworked air cooled engine.

Jarhead

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." ---Patrick Henry

Reply to
Jarhead

Time for an oil change Id say.

Reply to