Oil for 1992 hilux LSD

Can anyone give my an advice on which oil to use in the rear differential (LSD) of my 1992 hilux (pickup)? Sorry if this is a FAQ, but i think this topic is surrounded by a fair bit of rumor/voodoo/confusion..

I know that Amsoil has an generic slip-lock additive - would that be usable? The (owners and workshop) manuals of course state the grade of the oil, but they seem to indicate that it is a premixed oil (but I may just be overinterpreting).

Oh yeah: And does anyone know what these additives do (besides being an "advanced friction modifier")?

I have been told that if the oil is replaced by plain oil, it will require a total stripdown and rebuild, before the LS works again. Is there truth in that? I would expect that if the plain oil is replaced with LSD-oil, it would eventually dilute the plain oil, and everything would be fine again.

David

Reply to
David