Problem with tailgate window on a 1990 4Runner

Hello,

As the subject states, I have a problem with my tailgate window. What has happened is that the metal channels or guides that are attached to the bottom of the glass have rusted out. These are where the rollers that are attached to the regulator arms actually push up or pull down the glass. I may have the terms mixed up here, but I just wanted to make it clear that there is no problem with the window track itself.

The dealer told me that they don't even show those parts as being available. Next I tried searching, but came up empty-handed there too.

I guess that my next step is to try a glass shop or perhaps a junkyard. I just thought that maybe someone in the group may have run into this before and could provide some help. Basically, I need to replace those 2 metal channels or guides and most likely the rollers as well. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply here.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

happened to me too ... channels rusted window doesnt work ... had it fixed at toyota for a few 100 canadian $.

The rear window is a major design flaw

Matt

Major design flaw? It lasted 15 years through Canadian winters. Sounds like a resonable period for it to last without andy preventative maintenance.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well, lets face it. For anything except for city driving these windows suck. Dust and dirt accumulates aorund the window and if you then open it it drags the dirt inside where it causes rot and rust.

If you treat the window and seal well it will last 10 or so years, if not you have to deal with repairing it

I would very much prefer a window as the pathfinders have where you just flip it open ...

Matt

Something like that would get broken when you take the top off. In the summer, even with the top on, I like cruising with the back window down. The window on my 87 works like new after replacing the track last year.

I think the flip-up style would be okay on a 4runner that the top doesn't come off, but I'll never own a 4runner that doesn't have a tailgate.

Heck, I'll never own another 4runner without a 22re and manual transmission. Most new 4runners will never see dirt or sand in their lifetime. The people that drive them would be better off in station wagons or mini-vans.

Reply to
Chuck

Agreed

Agreed. The tailgate rules .. flip up on non convertibel 4runner would rule too

Agreed ... everything past 95 is shit...

Matt

I just did that job last summer. Not too difficult and the parts were about $50 for new bottoms and the rubber "gaskets."

-Pete

Peter Bogiatzidis wrote:

Reply to
speedy