Re: 22RE $700+ exhaust fix

I forgot to add... It idles just fine. It only bogs down, misses and tries to die when I put a load on it - try to drive it.

Mike

Reply to
Lane

Ouch. I replaced everything from just below the manifold back to the tailpipe (hi-flow cat and Flowmaster muffler) for about $300.

On the good side, I spent $600 at the dealer having a warped manifold replaced... mine went very quickly and I was afraid it was the timing chain coming loose... fixed it the next day so I had no long term issues.

It makes sense that the leak caused your ECU to mis-read the exhaust, but it should recover fairly quickly and should never be undriveable.

It does make sense that the leak may have killed the cat, but that should have caused driveability problems before the repair.

Last bet... they may have damaged or improperly connected the O2 sensor(s) in the headpipe (I think there's two, one just ahead of the cat and one in the manifold). Have those checked FIRST by a different mechanic.

If those O2 sensors are hosed, there's no telling what the ECU will do but it won't be "right".

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Reply to
Mike Hunt

I'll be pissed if it turns out to be the cap. I suggested to the guy to change the cap and wires when he did the plugs but he said they were fine.

Oh yea...

I picked up the truck yesterday. After the valve adjustment, plugs, and fuel filter - it still isn't fixed. Drivable but still hesitates. I'll try the cap and wires, then go on to fuel pump maybe, then injectors. I may just have the dealer trouble shoot it. Supposedly, the guy checked the O2 sensors - I'll double check those as well.

Reply to
Lane