Re: Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

I got a call on Wednesday night from a friend the next street over who

> had the catalytic converter stolen off his 4-Runner during the night. > > Searching on-line, I learned that Toyota trucks/SUVs are a prime target > for catalytic converter thieves because of the high clearance and the > ease of unbolting it or cutting the pipe. > > I've been looking at the various theft protection devices: > > "
"> "
"> "
"> > I'm thinking of just making my own with 5/16" wire rope since all of the > commercial ones use wire rope too. > > Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why a few turns of the wire > rope on the pipe going into each side of the converter, and then > cross-pattern spiral wrapping of the converter with the cable, then > running the cable through frame members one each end would not be as > good as the "cage" of horizontal cables used by the catclamp. I went > under the vehicle and tried it with rope today to see how much cable I'd > need. and it looks like about 20' would do it. I might also use some > steel cable ties to tie the cable together where it crosses. > > "
"> I'd use these bolted "swages" but I can route the cable so these are not > reachable to undo them with wrenches.> > Any suggestions.

Yeah.

Put air shocks to lift the vehicle a foot, with a electromagnetic release that allows the vehicle to drop suddenly. Then add a trip wire to the catalytic converter. Hang the trapped meat on a hook as an example.

Reply to
Desertphile