Re: Thieves breaking into the rear of the RAV4

> I spoke to a sales rep at a Toyota dealer last night.

>> He said that there is no privacy cover for >> the RAV4, like there is with some hatchbacks. > >Did you actually look inside a RAV4? According to the Toyota web site, the >tonneau cover is optional on base RAV4s, and *standard equipment* on the >higher trim levels, unless you get the third-row seat option. > >There's also an under-floor storage bin for compact items: >
>> On the other hand, just having a privacy cover >> might invite thieves to break in, even if there was >> nothing of value. > >Most SUVs have heavily tinted windows nowadays. If the vehicle you buy >doesn't, you can always get them tinted. The tonneau cover is really >secondary. > >Note: professional thieves will have their "work area" under watch. They >will notice you if you load valuables into the vehicle. Sometimes the >parking garage security guard is in on it as well. So there is a level of >risk regardless of whether you have a sedan or SUV.

When I visited my brother in Hawaii, he recommended putting the valuables in the trunk of our rental car before driving to the restaurant or tourist trap. Then when arriving at the destination, make it obvious that you are leaving the car open, windows down, etc. His theory was that the thieves would not believe you had anything in the car at all.

Reply to
AlB

Per AlB:

During the nine years I lived in Hawaii and surfed the North Shore, the common wisdom was to leave your car's windows open while you were out surfing. That way, the thieves wouldn't break them in order to rummage through your car.

We'd put our wallets in a steel ammo box in the trunk, padlocked shut and secured by heavy chain welded to the box and looped around the rear axle through holes cut in the floor.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)