Rear bumper replacement on 2005 Tundra

A lady just hooked my rear bumper and bent it out. Very minor damage, but the bumper is ruined. The dealer wanted $942.00 to repair. It appears to be a very easy project, but I don't know. Are there complications in taking off the bumper and replacing with a new one? If the frame was damaged, I wouldn't even try. Any suggestions? Also are their any sources of bumper replacements for the rear of a 2005 Tundra. Comments/suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Ron Wicker

no insurance? or $1,000 deductable?

Reply to
Zephyr

Reply to
Ron Wicker

I can't speak for the new models, but I replaced the rear bumper on my

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab this summer. I got dinged in the parking lot at work. I ordered the bumper through a friend that could get me the OEM part at cost. I think was around $160 for the chrome bumper. The '05 models are bigger, so scale up from there. The dealer wanted $550 to replace it for me. They had marked up the bumper to around $330.

Replacement was relatively simple. It's nice to have an extra pair of hands to help hold the bumper in place while removing the old one and putting on the new one. The directions are really simple and it was just a matter of changing 6 bolts (I think that was the number). Make sure you have a torque wrench and metric wrenches that are big enough for the bolts. Since Tacos sit up so high it was really easy to get under there and fix it.

I have very limited experience with fix> Didn't want to claim it on my insurance. Cheap I guess. Thought if it

Reply to
NYTaco

If you can afford to be without the bumper for a week or two (no state laws being violated about going without) call around to local or regional chrome plating shops.

Many of them also have the presses and forming tools that can bend the bumper back from minor dings and bends, and then they can strip and replate it - probably better than new, if only because they'll lay the shiny stuff on a bit thicker.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
Ron Wicker

Reply to
Ron Wicker

If she hooked your bumper, shouldn't her insurance be paying for it. Or are you in a no-fault insurance state?

Reply to
Tom in Macon