Replacement Stereo for 2002 Tacoma

I just purchased a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Xtracab V6 and I love it...except for the stock stereo. It's a single CD and cassette and the sound is very flat. I know very little about car audio, so I'm looking for suggestions....I'd like a head unit with a 6-disc in-dash changer included, and I'll replace the speakers if necessary...not sure if the crappy sound is a result of a cheap/underpowered stereo, cheap speakers, or both. Any wisdom from Tacoma owners on this subject appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Both. Probably you'd be happier with the sound if you got new speakers and kept the stock head unit than if you got a new head unit and kept the stock speakers. However, either one alone will not be that big a deal. Unless they've upgraded them, those are 20W paper speakers and the head unit has about 17W of output. New speakers don't have to cost a lot - might as well do both.

I've been using a head unit with MP3 player for about three years now (my, how time flies!) and I love it. I have two or three CD-R's with 20 hours of music apiece on them, and that's all I have to tote around. I can go two weeks and never listen to the same song twice with just *one* of them. If you want my advice, don't fool around with a changer, just get an MP3 compatible unit and rip your (legitimately purchased, of course) music CD's.

Dreamer

i agree with Dreamer here. get yourself some new speakers all around. Boston Acoustics or Rockford Fosgate's will make a BIG diff. the tape in the stereo is wasted space, they should have made it a dual cd unit instead of cassette/cd.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Reply to
studio

You can get a little improvement in sound quality by turning on the radio and holding in the tuner knob for 10-15 seconds. Hold it in until you hear a "Beep". Then press it a couple of times until you come to an adjustment for the midrange. It looks something like this on the display lll d. The only bad thing about this is that if you don't turn the radio off before turning off the key. The new setting will be lost and you will have to reset it.

Reply to
BB TACO

Second the motion for Crutchfield. I have a discount code around here someplace, too... if you do decide to buy anything from them, drop me an email and I'll find it and send it to you.

The other advantage of MP3 players is that you don't have to carry around all your expensive storebought CD's. Some #$)(*@#&$* stole the little console out of my truck the other night - he got a couple bucks in tollway change and some MP3 discs. Big deal - I just went in and reburned them, with my originals safe in the storage rack in the living room. I hope he didn't find out until he got to the pawn shop, the bastard.

Dreamer

New Speakers. Some JVC 6.5" is the doors would really help! A Blaupunct MP3 /CD/ am/ fm stereo would also rock.

That is a great headunit and has tremedous bass output.

Buy it all at

Im Right

crotchfeel.com is over priced. get better service and prices at

: > Matt

Reply to
Im Right

I replaced the AM/cassette unit in my 2003 Tacoma with a unit from Crutchfield. Clear and complete instructions were provided and installation from opening the box to putting the tools away took less than two hours.

The replacement unit is Sony with a detachable face. It is a single CD unit but it plays MP3 files and recognizes both CD-R and CD-RW discs. An MP3 format CD can hold the contents of ten or more audio CDs. I find the the wireless remote to be a big plus although its usefulness was doubted at first.

For $200 shipped I am very pleased with everything. The installation went very smoothly and looks very clean. The Sony is rated 52 watts per channel, probably about 37 watts RMS, and there are no issues with the OEM speakers.

YMMV A.G.

Reply to
Registered User

But they make a great research site if they have the thing you want :)

Reply to
TF

I'm sure they might be cheaper on some things. But do they carry all the brands ? No. Will they be here next week, month, year ? Maybe. Maybe not.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Appreciate the advice. I did some research and picked up a pretty sweet Pioneer system from Best Buy -- Nice CD/MP3 head unit and four

50 watt 4-way speakers. Can't wait to hear how it sounds...BB didn't have an open appointment for installation until Monday. Must be tax refund season. :)

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Matt

Reply to
Matt