2002 GC Deluxe Stereo Question...

The stereo in my GC is the deluxe one that has both the CD and Cassette, also equipped with Infinity speakers.

I have not tried the cassette yet. The CD sounds OK, not great, but OK. However, is it just me, or dose the FM absolutely SUCK????

Since my 1994 GC was written off, I have had 3 loaner / rental vans before I purchased this van. Each of the loaners had the "basic" stereo in it, and the FM was flawless. But this supposedly "deluxe" stereo in the FM mode I can't drive 10 FEET without it sounding like someone threw a blanket over the speakers, and then it loses "stereo" and the signal breaks up!

I DO have an extended warranty which covers ALL electronics including the stereo, so before I "discuss" the matter with the dealer, I just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems.

All comments appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
NewMan

Antenna unplugged maybe??

Reply to
Scott Koprowski

Hi...

Another thought, if I may?

If you take it out of the dash to check the quality of antenna connection, then while you're in there make sure that the braided bolt-on ground strap is attached to the back of the radio (and firmly)

If you don't find a ground strap at all, then it's possible that it may have fallen down into the lower portions of the dash...

Given that previous posts lead me to think there's a possibility that the radio's been changed for the sale. If that's so, it's possible the ground strap's been left off, which will make it not only erratic in every mode, but the radio portion terrible, terrible, terrible :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

This definitely looks like a "stock" Chrysler stereo just by the way it integrates into the dash, the buttons, trim, etc...

I thought about the antenna thing too. I wonder if the previous owner had a killer stereo, and then put back the stock one before trading it in? That would explain a sloppy re-install.

OK, I'm game! I know NOTHING about this model year (YET!). SO, oh great Chrysler gurus, how do I remove the dash panel on the 2002 to check the installation of the stereo???

:)

Reply to
NewMan

Hi NewMan...

Can't help you with removal, I know less of your van than you do - but the experts here who've done it before will chime in :)

Just as to why I suspected it had been changed just for you... my ever more feeble memory has me recalling a long ago post where you reported finding a van that you liked, but that left you grieving the stereo that you'd lost in your written off one.

I somehow from that assumed that they'd installed a better one in this new van to clinch the sale :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Hi Ken,

Actually, I managed to recover the stereo from the old van! I still had the original Chrysler radiio / cassette unit, so I swapped it in and took my stereo - to hell with the appraisers!

Having said that, believe it or not, and presuming I can get the radio reception up to snuff, the stereo in this van is quite nice feature wise. I may eventually put a different one in it though because I don't think (have not tried it yet) that the stock stereo can play MP3 and WMA on a regular data CD. That is a significant disadvantage now! On my other stereo, using WMA, I was able to get almost seven albums of music on a single CD-R!!! Out west where you often get between towns and there is no FM stations, having that kind of punch in a single disk is a HUGE benefit!

Oh well, this will all get sorted in time.

Reply to
NewMan