ring and pinion question: which ratio?

Hello, I have a 94 reg cab 4x4 w/ the 22re, stock 4.10s (I think), and

32x11.50 tires. I live at about 6500' and often drive higher. The truck really dogs up the passes and just has no get-up-and-go in general. Also, on the trail, I practically have to do everything in 4lo or it will want to stall. I have a filtercharger and plan on soon adding a header and a cat back exhaust. I really want to redo the gears, though, and not rely on the aftermarket engine mods to turn the tires. I'm pretty much stuck in decision between 4.56 and 4.88. What are your suggestions? Does anyone have these gears and these tires? If so, what is your opinion. I want to be able to go 75-80 (or more) on the interstate and still be able to drive up the passes in a reasonable gear (not 3rd) and have hopefully, much improved offroad performance. Also, I'm not planning on living at altitude for ever so I would like to ratio to be appropriate to lower elevations. Also, in the future, I'm planning on maybe doing a solid axle swap and going to 33s. Would the 4.56s still be appropriate for the 33s? And finally, i'll get the gears done at a shop, do you guys think it would be cheaper to just have them do the gears and a rear locker in the stock carrier or to buy a already built third-members w/ locker and gears and have them plug those in? Thanks in advance.
Reply to
Jason McDannold

4.56 would get you near stock gearing w/ 33s, speedo/odo would be about right, 4.88 would give you a little extra oomph to turn the larger, heavier tires. Some even run 5.29s w/ 33" tires, I used to but switched back to 4.88 for a more tolerable highway cruising RPM:
Check Randy's Ring and Pinion and see what they have. If you have a local gear shop, its probably cheaper to have them do it, saves shipping the 50+ lb. 3rd members all over the country. If no local shop, then get the pre-built units, swamp the out and send back the old ones for the core charge.
Reply to
Roger Brown

[...]

I had 33x12.50 tires with 4.88 gears on my truck for about a year. I have a Tacoma with the 2.7L motor. I found the gearing great for off-road but a little too low for the highway with the 33" tires. I have since moved up to

35x12.50 tires and find the gearing just right now. I would recommend 4.56 gears if this vehicle is a daily driver and used mostly on the road. If you use the truck mostly off-road or you plan on going to larger tires, you may want the 4.88 gears.

Kevin

Kevin

I bet you have 4.30:1 now, do the 4.88

Reply to