4.10 best general-purpose gear ratio?

I think I'm going to start buying parts to get my TJ regeared from the dreaded 3.07 that I have now. I THINK that 4.10 makes sense for me; I'm not planning on going with huge tires or lifts. Most likely 31's or maybe

32's. I know with 31's I'd be a little low-geared but that's OK; i don't need to go faster than 75 mph in this vehicle.

Vehicle is a 4.0L TJ, 5-speed tranny.

So... would you all agree that 4.10 is the way to go?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

The 4.10's would be a good choice, especially with the 32's.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG

yep, but if you are even thinking about bigger tires some day, get 4.56. Tons of people run 4.10s with 31's and love it. You will be happy. I have

4.56s and 31's and like it but am planning on going to 33 in the near future. KH
Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

You mention going 75 mph. This tells me that you need to drive your jeep on the highway at least as often as it will be off road. You probably fall into the 80/20 or 75/25 highway/offroad use pattern of the majority of jeep owners. If so, you will hate 4.56 gears unless you run 33" or 35" tires. You will probably also hate 4.10 gears with 31" tires.

4.10 will be a good choice with 33" tires. IMO, if you are going to spend the money on gears, go with 33" tires rather than 31". (32 is an "odd" size with less choice in brand/tread than either 31" or 33".) My logic in going from stock directly to 33" tires is to avoid the considerable expense in underestimating your ultimate needs, which will result in changing gear ratios/suspension mods twice.

Reply to
Robert Bills

my rubicon runs 31s on 4.10 and i find it to be the perfect ratio for the

4.0. if i want to i can pull away from most hondas at the stop light, and thanks to the overdrive its perfectly at home at 80mph. i wont even get into how awesome it is off road. i like: 30" - 3.73 31"/32" - 4.10 33" - 4.56 35" - 4.88 36"/37" - 4.10/4.56 w/ v8 swap
Reply to
Nathan Collier

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:47:37 GMT, "Nathan Collier" shared the following:

Seems like most (not all) people say 4.10 with 31" tires is a good combination. I have that combo on my '76 CJ5 with 3-speed 1:1 third gear and I'm just running at too-high of RPMs on the highway. About

3000 RPM at 68 MPH...or at least I should say 3000 RPM with the speedo *reads* 68 MPH. I'm not sure if it's reading correctly... Anyone know what the stock tire size on a '76 CJ5 is anyway? Ideally I'd like to go with a taller tire and keep my 4.10s and get a lower gear setup for my transfer case. We'll see how it works out. :-) If I had an overdrive transmission then the 31", 4.10 combo would probably work pretty well.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

any vehicle without overdrive is running at high rpms on the highway.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

I think that 4.10s will do you fine until the tire size gets over 32". Then, the 4.10s will only be a marginal problem, and won't become a huge issue until the tires exceed about 35". If you knew that you were leaning towards

33s, then 4.56 gears would be better, but it sounds like you are sticking with tires of 32" or under, and 4.10s will be fine.

I think that 4.10s make sense for you also.

Reply to
CRWLR

Not exactly true....but I know where your coming from. I have an 82 CJ-5 with 258, T-176 four speed, 31 inch tires and 2.73 gears.

55 mph in THIRD gear I'm only turning 2800. Fourth drops it to about 2100.

Mark

Nathan wrote: any vehicle without overdrive is running at high rpms on the highway.

Nathan W. Collier

Mark Burns

if you have 2.73 gears you already have an overdrive, but its not in your tranny. :-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Forgive my lack of TJ knowledge, but if yours has the D44 rear end, your options also include what I refer to as the "forgotten" ratio, 4.27.

Reply to
Bob Ackley

I was wondering about what it would cost to change front and back to 410's from a shop.

Reply to
Dennis Croll

Varies, depending on the quality of the gears and the shop's labor rate.

$700-800/axle parts and labor, give or take.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

This is what it cost me when I went from 3.07's to 4.56's: Labor F&R - $400 Install kit F&R - $160 Ring & Pinion F&R - $320 If you have to change carriers (current gear less than 3.73's) F&R - $150

JimG

Reply to
JimG

The ratio with the TJ factory Dana 44 is 3.73. 4.10's are available only on the

4-cyl models and the Rubicon. The only other ratio I am aware of available on a TJ is 3.07.
  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

PMFBI, Matt's correct re: the TJ D44 standard ratio. The jump from that to

4:10's is fairly minor and might not be worth it if you're sticking to no more than 33's, especially with an automatic. For the money, if you're heading lower just go to 4.56's, which would give you the option of running 35's later on.
Reply to
Jerry McGeorge

All added up for both axles including parts and labor, plan on anywhere from around $1100 to maybe $1300. My last swap was just under $1100 but that's not real common, at least here in SOCAL.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford