Screeching Manual Hub - 99 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L 5 Speed

After replacing my front brake pads and rotors about 6 weeks ago (got

105K miles out of the factory pads) I suddenly began hearing a metal-on-metal scraping noise from the driver's side front wheel. It sounded like the thin metal sheild behind the wheel was rubbing, but it is not. I did some experimenting, and found that when I lock that hub, the noise goes away. Unlock it, and it comes back. Doesn't matter if I'm truly in 4wd or not, but when the hub is in the "Free" position, the screeching noise is unbearable. It's clearly related to the speed of the revolution of the wheel, but not 100%. That is, it doesn't just squeal once for each revolution. It could be once, three times, or it could go for a few blocks without any screeching at all. Do I just need to pull that hub apart and see what the problem is? With 106K miles, should I consider buying aftermarket hubs and replacing both factory hubs? If so, any recommendations on a brand/source for these? Thanks in advance. -Roadhunter
Reply to
RoadHunter

Bad bearings in the hub body?

Maybe you got water in the hub, or some sort of FOD. In any case you might be able to get away with just a cleaning and relube. If not, junkyard replacement will be lots cheaper than a new hub.

Mike Harris

Reply to
RoadHunter