single piece driveshaft swap

I have 1996 Toyota Tacoma extra cab with 3RZ and a 5 speed. I am just over 100k miles and will soon be needing to replace all the U-joints on the rear driveshaft again AND the center carrier bearing, again. Soooooo. With all that work to do, It might be simpler to just swap out to a single piece driveshaft. There is an article on 4x4 wire about this,

But it wason a truck with 2 inches of lift where as I am stuck with stocksprings. (Yea I know, why havent lifted it yet). So I know that I knowthat I can have a shaft made. I am curious about clearance at thecenter cross member where the Center bearing used to live. Anyone elseout there done this? Any Ideas? Anybody got ideas about measuring whatthe clearance on a one peice shaft would be without removing the oldone and stacking a ton of bricks in the bed? Any Ideas would be appreciated

Richard toymotorhead yadude snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
toymotorhead

You may want to look into why it's failing. U-joints failing at 100k is not normal. I have 290k on my '93 and all the u-joints/bearing have never been touched (next to the lube). When I inspected it last week, everything was tight.

Reply to
Eddie

I have an 85 toyota and went to a toyota only wrecking yard and they told me the 87 88 4x4 single piece will work for me don't know if it will work for yours or not but can ask in a day or two when i go to pick mine up.

Reply to
brbun1

I have the same truck with no mods. Have you been greasing all 5 main prop shaft fittings every 15k miles per the manual? Absence of that alone could cause them to fail. I lube the front-drive (4WD) zerks less often. What sort of punishment are you giving the truck off-road, etc.?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Yea I have been greasing all the zirks generaly every other oil change. I bought the truck used, and judging by the reciver hitch and the 7 pin trailer wiring jack, it probably spent a bunch of time in front of a trailer, and not a small one either. You know the little things that you over look when you are going ooooh, its got a sunroof. The center carrier bearing is pretty free to move. I can push it easly

3/8" in all dirrections. Is this normal? Is for off road punishment it nothing that unusual, 75- 80mph to work and back, the random slog through a muddy construction site. I have yet to see if this one flys.

Richard

Reply to
toymotorhead

if the bearing does not make noise and the shaft does not vibrate and the u joints are good it is ok

Reply to
Jack