Sub box

how do i put a subwoofer box in a single cap pickup?

Reply to
Cole

Slim box, shallow speakers. Use several smaller speakers instead of a larger one, in much the same way as bass players do nowadays. Besides helping with the depth issue, you'll get tighter bass - less of the sloppy crap sound you hear coming from cars with systems designed by/for teenagers.

Your other option is to work with the doors, and forget the box behind the seat. Bass waves require more distance to form completely than exists in a car/truck anyway. Unless your system's going to reside in the trailer of an

18 wheeler, it's impossible to design a correct bass system. At least door speakers are out in the open. Install separate woofer & tweeter and supply enough power, and it'll sound MORE than acceptable.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

There are things called "open-air subwoofers".

Reply to
Celica Dude

If they sound good, it's a matter of pure luck. I guess the definition of "good" is in the ear of the beholder, though. I'm a bass player. I like really tight sound from my speakers.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Are you speaking from experience with open-air subwoofers?

Reply to
Celica Dude

Spent significant time in 3 vehicles equipped with them. However, to be fair, I'm comparing them to controlled speaker design conditions which can rarely be achieved in a car.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If you're still bent on putting in that subwoofer box, I custom made one for the miniature cab of an 83 toyota pickup. Sounds pretty nice (I'm no bass player though), gives a nice back massage too. Trick is pulling out the center console (broken on my truck anyway) and making a ported box with the shape of a capital 'T', woofer faces up against the back wall of the cab, has inside dimensions of about 1 cubic foot. My Sony XPLOD 1100W works pretty well in there. If you want measurements or pics of it, let me know.

Reply to
Spencer Fowers

Maybe the OP isn't into woodworking. Your plan sounds good, but I'm stuck in an apartment where we have problems with thefts from cars. A few of us are hoping the thieves figure out that the security doors don't lock on the most of the buildings. Once they're inside.... :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

sure ill take the measurements and pics

Reply to
Cole

Okay, I'll admit I have no experience with them at all.. glad to know they suck before I waste the money!

Reply to
Celica Dude

Ahahah gee, then what? They get to see the muzzle-flash of your security system? :o>

Reply to
Celica Dude

Nah....that would generate too much paperwork. Probably I'd wake up all the old ladies in the building and they could talk the guy to death. :-) They hang out at the front door in good weather. If I go out with my bicycle, they ask me if I'm going fishing. If I come in with fishing tackle, they ask if I've been grocery shopping. It's enough to drive anyone nuts.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

ahahahah even better

Reply to