Tacoma Oil Change

Good Morning-

Question: How many miles and/or how many months before a Tacoma oil change?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-Oscar

Reply to
oscar jean

Depends on which model and the driving conditions. For my '97, f'rinstance, Toyota says 5,000 miles under "special operating conditions," 7,500 otherwise. No way in Hades I would let an engine go 7,500 miles on an oil change, but that's what it says in the book for my model year. Your mileage, if you'll pardon the pun, may vary. Trucks do usually go longer than cars because they usually have increased oil capacity.

You can get the maintenance schedule for your particular truck here:

Click on "Vehicles" and select "Parts and Services."

Dreamer

If you really study the matter, you'll see the 3k oil change is a myth, but one cherished by truck worshippers. Benz uses a sensor to determine when oil needs changing & they often go almost 20k miles before the sensor says change. Worse, most of the oil deterioration occurs before 1,000 miles so to

*really* protect your truck, you should change the oil then. In reality, oil is about the same at 7.5k miles as 3k, but the 3k change is a religion in most enthusiast's minds.

How can you go wrong following the mfg suggestions? Unless you believe Toy is a bunch of devils out to destroy their trucks so you'll buy a new one because your last one wore out so fast. Yeah, that makes sense.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Cassel

Oscar, I don't know which engine you have, but Tacomas have been know to be rather hard on oil. It looks like 3k-4k miles on conventional oil, and around 6k miles on synthetics like Mobil 1 are best. Check out the following site:

Try doing a search on Tacoma, and read the comments.

Reply to
Tones

Owner's manual lists 5000 for all 2004 models.

2003 and older had optional 5000 or 7500 mile schedules depending on the severity of service.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Tacoma's should have an oil change appr. every 500 miles, using the jiffylube signature service. :)

Seriously though, it's too dependent on what you do with the truck. Commuting at 70mph is a lot different than pulling folks out of snowbanks in 4-lo all winter.

I bounce between both, and do changes somewhere between 4000-6000 miles. Not religious, I just do it when I feel like it needs it. I'm due right now, but it's just too damn cold out right now.

Reply to
TF

if you change every 3k miles with standard filter (fram or the like) and regular oil, that's good, the engine will always be clean. however, sludge can sometimes develop. switch to full synth like Mobil-1 and a better filter (WIX) and change every 5k miles. overall yearly costs will be about the same, but you are avoiding sludge issue with full synth.

Kryptoknight