99 tacoma prerunner, high pitched sound when coasting.

I have a 1999 prerunner, 2WD, 4cyl, 55,000 miles on it.

Ever since I have owned it (only about 2 months) I have noticed that while driving and pressing the gas pedal, I hear nothing unusual, but if I want to slow down, and take my foot completely off of the gas pedal, a very hard-to-notice, high pitched 'whistle' begins. I can not pin point where it is coming from, and it is so subtle, the driver would probably be the only person to hear it.

Anyway, as soon as I give it the slightest amount of gas, the whistle stops.

I am not touching the brake pedal at all when this happens, and it is not coming from the radio speakers.

thanks in advance! Jazz Mann

Reply to
Jazz Mann

My thought on that may be that it is a hose on the air conditioner - although mine was a more distinct noise than what you describe. I had to take my v6 in after some front end incident damage was fixed since I was hearing something like that - it only began after that accident repair. It has been a couple years since I had that resolved, but it may have been one of the hoses from the AC sitting where it shouldn't be and causing that transfer of sound through the body or chassis.

Reply to
S. Brooks

(confused look) So the air may only be choosing to pass by my AC hose when I am coasting? And not while pressing the gas pedal?

It makes it even when I am sitting still, although, off and on. It does it when my fan is on, it does it when my fan is off, doesnt matter.

S. Brooks wrote:

whistle

repair. It

Reply to
Jazz Mann

I have the same problem. I've posted this question on here and have a few people that are dealing with it as well. Check out the conversations on my question at "Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Frame Pad Squeak". Originaly posted the question on 8/04. Check it out and join our search for an answer.

Reply to
mpopadics

"mpopadics" wrote: > I have the same problem. I've posted this question on here and > have a few > people that are dealing with it as well. Check out the > conversations on my > question at "Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Frame Pad Squeak". > Originaly posted > the question on 8/04. Check it out and join our search for an > answer.

it,s a tranny whistle my 99 does same thing try a liter weight gear oil 80w

Reply to
leeb

are you for real? Does your 1999 no longer whistle? wow... anyone else try this recommendation and had success?

Reply to
Jazz Mann

anyone tried this and if so, has it fixed the problem? thansk Jazz Mann

Reply to
Jazz Mann