test drove new 06 AC V6, not impressed at all

Today I was at the dealer getting my 2000 Tundra steering checked out, coming back from long trip noticed it felt tight and hard to turn. Found out the ball joints were bad (476) and just spent 700 on the front brakes last week. When I get a vehicle that starts the big bucks crap every few days it becomes history real fast. I decided to see if I could trade out of it and dealer had 2 V6 access cabs, one for 18,900 and one for 19,600 (salsa red I liked). I drove the red one first and it shook badly from 30 on up. Salesperson tried to tell me the tires had flat spots on them but it felt more in the driveline to me and was wimpy in power. I then drove the silver one, had no vibration but was had much more rode noise than mine and was totally gutless! My 2000 would leave this thing sitting in the dust. I then drove a 06 DC V8 (out of my price range) and it had also had a bad vibration over 40 and no where near the punch that my 2000 has. That cured my fever real fast!! I was undecided whether to fix mine or buy a newer one but now I don't know what to get. Mine has 103k miles and has been good except the *&*&^&* brakes! I was affraid that with my luck if I spend another 500 on this that next week the tranny will fail or to many other no warranty big buck items could go wrong or it may go another 100k miles. In the past when I get a vechicle that starts tearing up often it has been a warning sign! I have heard to many horror stories on the 2000's brakes (which I have had) and the tranny issues I have not had yet even though mine has had a "clunk" in it for over 20k miles when downshifting from 2nd to 1st that concerned me. Any other folks with the V6 AC that are happy or comments on other 2000 owners that have gone way past 100k miles? I tow

3000 pounds also on a regular bases.
Reply to
specman1

Not sure what was wrong with the 06 V8 Tundra you drove. I too had a 2000 Tundra V8 Access Cab and bought a 2005 Tundra DC V8 when they first came out. The 2005 with the five speed trans and extra horsepower is much stronger than my 2000. My advice try another V8, you must have driven one built on Friday. Try and find one built on Wednesday.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

That could be true about being a bad one. The DC is out of my price range, in fact the AC almost is after all the unexpected bills I got hit with this year. How many miles did your 2000 have and what problems did it give you if any?

Reply to
specman1

My 2000 had about 60k on it when I traded it for my wife's Denali. I only had it 4 years. It was leased and I decided to buy it at the end of the lease. The only problems I had was I would get the check engine light and the truck would lose all power. It would still be running but had absolutely no power. if you floored it it would only rev to about 1200 rpm. I would simply turn it off and restart it and it would be fine. It started happening more regularly. Of course the dealer could not find a problem because it never happened when I took it to them. Since my wife drove it occasionally, I decided to get rid of it. I have had my 2005 for over 2 years and have had not one problem so far.

Reply to
William Michael Greene